Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1999 chevy cavalier overheating

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 4:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 chevy cavalier overheating

hello I' was hoping I' could find some help on how to fix my car thats overheating
she's a...
1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER 2 door coupe
a CALIFORNIA vehicle
with the following
*motor 2.2 L4
*auto trans
*miles 100k
*a/c
*theft system
*air bag
*check engine
*low coolant
*ABS

-minus these -
-power door lock
-no cruise control
-ETS ?

I' was driving one day and the check engine was lighted along with the low coolant level,and noticed engine temp was almost in red zone!

so I' came to a stop and noticed the fan wasn't working either? o' shippers !

so I' added DEXCOOL 50-50 to fill line ,toped her off,again after warmed her up,she was real low! afterwards I' burped here real good,I' purge the air out from these two places,the air from the [CTS] coolant temperature switch ,and the radiator bi-pass pipe.

started her up and the fan still won't kick in ? plus the temperature gauge shows she's only warm,when I' now she's hot,also the temp gauge goes up only to about 3/8 or,I' no she's hot so I' turn on the A/C to keep her cool.

so I' fiddled with her under the hood,I' swapped the heater relay with A/C,I' found nothing wrong with the A/C relay

theres only two wires to the fan a lt blue and black,since I' saw only one relay to the fan,I'm guessing that the cooling relay is shared with the A/C relay and is controlled by the computer ? I' don't no how it's wired so I'm guessing ?

also replaced the radiator thermostat

I' would like help on how too troubleshoot these ECS engine coolant temperature switch?or the computer...ouch

if anybody could give me some pointers I' would much appreciate this

VALLEJO,CALIFORNIA

Old July 13th, 2009, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2002 cavalier was getting hot when ideling. I had to replace my rad fan because it wasnt kicking on. because it was getting really hot i also had to replace the relay switch too...hope that helps