Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2004 Chevy Suburban Accessory Power Outlet On Dash Not Working

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2010, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Chevy Suburban Accessory Power Outlet On Dash Not Working

Hi I have a 2004 chevy suburban. My problem is with the accessory power outlet on the dash board. The outlet has no power. The power outlet in the rear cargo area has power. I checked all the fuses under the hood with a test light on both side of each fuse. Then went to the fuse panel on the drivers side and did the same thing. Not one bad fuse. The lighter has power. I pulled the dash off and checked the plug that powers the lighter and power outlet. There is powr on one side of the plug but not the other that feeds the power outlet. Also the wire shows no sign of damage. Is there a fuse that I don't know about?
Old November 12th, 2011, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

I hate to me-too this, but did you have any luck on this? I have a 2001 Suburban with power in one accessory plug up front (the always-on one) and none in the other 3 (two up front and one in the back.) Fuse is fine, even replaced it for giggles, no go. Very annoyed...
Old November 20th, 2011, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Could it be the plug on the device you are trying to use? Some manufacturers put fuses into the plugs on their devices. Try using the cigar lighter in the dead accessory outlet too, if it works, it is definitely your device and not your vehicle.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the leads on your VOM long enough, where you can do a continuity check from the Outlet to the Plug where you lost power. May be a bad "grip" with the connector in the Plug, or a bad wire.