Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2004 Impala Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2013, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Impala Transmission Problem

Hi! First time poster, and I appreciate any information you may offer! I have a 2004 Impala with the 3800 V6. Over the last year, the transmission has begun slipping when trying to get to 2nd gear. It will "spool" up, and you have to let off the gas to lower the RPMs before it will shift into 2nd. It then kinda clunks into third. We have circumvented this by shifting manually, starting in 1, 2, 3, then D. Most recently, when making a turn while also using the throttle, the Message Center in the dash lights up with "Trans Active" and you can hear what sounds like a motor spinning on, then off. This doesn't happen all the time, however. When I checked the trans fluid, the dipstick had black fluid on it. I checked it again, and was full and mostly red. Odd. The car runs strong, motor is great. I know a bit about older cars, and more rear-wheel drive ones. I am not sure about front-drive transmission/transaxle combos and what this particular car might have. Again, thanks for reading and replying if you have one!
Old August 24th, 2013, 5:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd run a Cleaner through it, then do a complete Fluid Change (converter/filter/fluid).
Old August 30th, 2013, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info! We had the trans "serviced" about 3000 miles ago, and it was kind of slipping even back then. The guy told us to put "Stop Slip" in it, which I was against, but it actually helped it - according to my wife - until recently when it has been as bad as ever.
Anyway, again, thanks for the reply and will check back again soon.
Old August 31st, 2013, 5:17 AM
CF Beginner

Regardless of what's actually wrong with it AAMCO will charge you atleast $2500.00
Try and get a reccomendation from someone you know on a shop they have actually used. 99% of transmission shops will give you the shaft; especially the national chains.