Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2006 Silverado Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2013, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 06 Silverado with 95k miles regularly serviced, never pushed, pulled, towed, heck or even carried heavy weight. Only to start hearing the same noise everyone speaks of took it to the chevy dealer, diagnosis were bad cam & lifters. After asking how could this have happened I watched the service guy try to his best to squirm out of saying everything short of it being a defect on chevy part, which is to be expected. After consulting with 3 other certified mechanics which all of them said the same thing "defect" and after reading several posts I'm convinced that it's a defect. I expected this model being that it was the last model before the new body style that they would have all of the quirks worked out but I guess not, especially after reading someone with a 2010 model having the same issue. I've been a chevy owner since 97 but this is really starting to make think to try a different maker, at least truck wise! Oh yeah Chevy cost to repair $3,500 not including tax oh but they did offer a free rental for 2 days, LMBO!
Old January 28th, 2015, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Hello Love My Truck. It seems as though we have the same problem. Mine started like yours and is in the shop now. I would like to know if Chevy took responsibility for the defect and repaired the truck for free?
Old January 29th, 2015, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

MedicKam - I didn't even bother. I was very discouraged by all that I read about this problem. It was very obvious to me that GM / Chevy really didn't give a rats *** about this problem or in even trying to do the right thing by fixing the problem. Just like several others on this thread, when I am ready to purchase another truck I will not just be looking at Chevrolet.
Old January 29th, 2015, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Love my Truck, I feel your pain! So far they have told me the camshaft needs to be replaced along with all the lifters. It does seem to be a factory defect. I will retain all parts and file a comaint with NHTSA. If you feel inclined to do so, you should consider filing a complaint as well. Especially if your mechanics said it was a defect. Here is the site, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

One last thing, what was fixed? And how has it been since?

I also will not be buying another Chevy.

Are there any Chevy reps on here???
Old January 30th, 2015, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

I ended up having the cam / lifters replaced. Cost me $3500 to get it done. I thought about just putting another engine in but then I felt the same problem might come up. Anyway, since the work was done the truck has been just fine. No issues at all with anything significant.

I appreciate the link to file a complaint. I believe that I will do just that. It may help if we all did that. I would be very interested to hear back from you if you get anywhere with that.

Have a great SUPER BOWL WEEKEND!!!
Old February 2nd, 2015, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

I am debating on if I should replace the a camshaft with the factory part (if defect will this happen again?) or an aftermarket part. I will be filing a complaint with them and sending a letter to Chevrolet. For my first new car I ever purchased, I have leaved to never buy Chevy again.

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know if I get anywhere...

Did your mechanic say what he thought was defective?
Old February 3rd, 2015, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

They were all pretty much in agreement that it was the cam shaft itself that was defective. There was a groove worn in it where the lifters hit it. Did your truck have that God awful squeal when you drove it? That was why I initially thought it was a belt or something. I don't know if they used aftermarket or dealer parts - I didn't even think about that!

Keep me posted!
Old April 4th, 2015, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cam shaft

So the dealer did the repair. They agreed to pay half so my cost was $1,600. They replaced the camshaft, lifters, seals and fluid. I asked for the parts back but they said since they were paying half I did not get the parts. Turns out, they are required to let you inspect them. But, I let it slide.

Runs better but now a knock sensor went bad. So I'll fix thT and see if I wanna just sell it.
They never acknowledged the defect....
Old April 6th, 2015, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Bravo

MedicKam

Awesome job on getting them to pay! I applaud you! I also feel the way you do...I have a few items that I am getting taken care of right now and after that I will make my decision on whether or not to keep or sell my truck.

Bad thing is that I really, really loved this truck when I got it.

Bravo again on your victory!