Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2013 Malibu Coolant Reservoir Crack

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2014, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2013 Malibu Coolant Reservoir Crack

I have a 2013 Malibu LT with a SES code for the cooling system at 41k miles. I had a diagnostics run at the Chevy house, and they said I have a cracked coolant reservoir. They can of course fix it for about $300.00. I just figured this would be an easy fix and took it home. Anyone have any experience with this? I can typically find an instructional video, but not for this model! HELP!
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Rockauto.com has the coolant recovery tank for 23.79 and it is an ACDelco.
The following users liked this post:
MIKEY BARAN (February 2nd, 2021)
Old December 13th, 2014, 2:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several glue/patch products available.
One I've used is JB Weld.

Drill a small hole at the ends of the crack,
rough the surface (sandpaper) up,
apply a generous (mix) of the two chemicals after a good stir,
let cure completely and see if it holds under the heat.

This is a very simple cheep way to fix this, IF it will hold to the type plastic the tank is made of, but you do have to R/R the Tank yourself.

You might do a search of other products that are specific for plastic repair.
Old January 7th, 2015, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

*UPDATE* -After the coolant reservoir was replaced the car was running cold, still no heat. Until yesterday it red lined hot and back down to cold repeatedly. Drove the 1 mile or so back to the dealership. When coming out to look at it, noticed a coolant puddle on the ground. The rep shook his head and said "this is why I wanted to replace the reservoir" hope you didn't fry the engine trying to have someone else replace the reservoir". Hopefully they call today and tell me it's something on the drive train that's covered on the warranty! It appears to be leaking from the left of the engine.
Old January 7th, 2015, 5:31 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ifish2
*UPDATE* -After the coolant reservoir was replaced the car was running cold, still no heat. Until yesterday it red lined hot and back down to cold repeatedly. Drove the 1 mile or so back to the dealership. When coming out to look at it, noticed a coolant puddle on the ground. The rep shook his head and said "this is why I wanted to replace the reservoir" hope you didn't fry the engine trying to have someone else replace the reservoir". Hopefully they call today and tell me it's something on the drive train that's covered on the warranty! It appears to be leaking from the left of the engine.
Hi there,

Very sorry for this! Any updates from the dealership? We would be happy to assist you further if necessary. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 8th, 2015, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do it yourself or have someone else do it? It's a pretty simple process and that seems like an awful lot of problems for that little fix
Old August 27th, 2017, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Chevy Malibu cracked coolant reservoir

Hello, I figured out give General Motors another try and bought a 2013 Chevy Malibu with only 17,000 miles on it in December 2016. The car has been running decent but now I’m starting to see puddles under my car. I took it in to the dealer and they told me my hose is leaking going into the heater core. They quoted me $511 plus tax to repair. They charge me $70 to put another clamp on it and said that may work. Well it is leaking worse and worse now and I’ve looked at it and it looks like it’s dripping out of the bottom of the reservoir. It looks like there’s also stress cracks on the reservoir like I got Crushed before it was installed in the vehicle. Of course it’s not covered under the drivetrain warranty that is still on the vehicle. I will talk to a few mechanic friends and see if we could do this A little less expensive. I have no idea why the dealer would’ve told me it was a hose leaking that is very hard to get to and will take three and half hours to repair. Makes me lose my faith in Chevy because I would actually install a crushed plastic reservoir into a new car. Also the dealer doing a bad diagnostic.

Are use my phone in a selfie stick to take a video. I wish I could post a picture on here to show the cracks.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Coolant tanks

Over The Years, Vibrations And Pressure Changes Will Form Micro Cracks...Letting Air Into The System....REPLACE TANK CAP AND HOSE Underneath it...JUNK yard $10...DO NOT PATCH WITH SILICONE OR JB Products...BEEN THERE DONE THAT...Lasts About A Week...

Last edited by MIKEY BARAN; February 2nd, 2021 at 8:49 AM. Reason: Forgot To Say Something