Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4.3 V6 Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2009, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3 V6 Wont Start

HI:
I have a 1994 with a 4.3 Lt V6. When I turn the key, the starter spins, but only for 1 to 2 seconds then stops. This has been an intermittent problem for the past few years, but now is pretty consistent. It has had the fuel filter,fuel pump, coil, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, replaced in the last 10,000 miles (approx). ( This is a third vehicle, so- it is not used much- but one of our primary vehicles is acting up, so I need something for the wife to drive A.S.A.P.) Is the starter bad, or is there a fuse, fuseablelink that I need to check? I don't think it's a fuel issue- because after the vehicles last non starting incidence, I could smell fuel-like it was flooding. When I gave it patial throttle on the next try- it started! So, is it an electrical or starter issue? Please help! Thanks..............William
Old September 28th, 2009, 1:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like a fuel Issue. How long has it been sitting?

When fuel sits it can turn into a JELLY substance, it still burns but, not well. Could also be WATER in the fuel lines. I would spray it with some starter fluid and go from there.

Do you have an empty fuel container around?
Disconnect the Coil (should be two connectors on it) SO YOU DONT GET SPARK.
Pull the fuel line off the TBI and run it into a container
Hit the ignition a few times and see if it drops any Fuel into the gas can.

Does it smell bitter? Can you see water?

If you do not see fuel.
You have a clogged fuel line.
Clogged Fuel Filter.
Bad Fuel Pump (could of burnt up)

Starter Issues.
This can be tricky. You say it cranks twice then dies? There are two cables that lead from the starter, one large (4guage) and one small (12/10g). I had an issue like this and it was the LARGE cable that runs to the starter, it was grounding out and causing a large amount of resistance to the starter, would crank than die, it ended up just grounding out and killing the cord and acted like a bad battery.

Check your spark:
Pull a plug wire from the motor and put an old plug in it, place it against sheet metal and hit the key a few times to see if it sparks. If the spark is weak, it could be the coil (even tho you changed it already).

Preventative maintenance.
IF you have a vehicle that sits for more than 14days (2weeks) at a time, i would add STABIL to the tank, it keeps the fuel from jelling up and causing havoc on your fuel sustem. IF you see a large amount of water in the fuel, add a bottle of additive(cant remember the name its 240am) (yellow) to the tank and rock it so it mixes a tad. It is an alchol base product that helps to evaporate water from the fuel system.

Matt
Old September 28th, 2009, 9:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just to level the playing field, it would be a good idea to change the battery cables. Don't forget the Engine to Body ground strap. The battery isn't cycling daily, and if the car sits, the cables corrode faster.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Starter and cables.
On the smaller wire (+) from the starter, there should be a fusible link.
Hope you get it figured out.