Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4.3 W motor, spark and fuel, wont start...post FYI

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2010, 11:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3 W motor, spark and fuel, wont start...post FYI

I am posting this because I think these forums are the best thing ever for the guys who refuse to give in to the American sprit of I'll fix it myself. I have solved many probelms on my Harley with forums, but I serched posts for an answer to this and found nothing;

I bought a high milage 99 Silvardo, 191K with the 4.3L W with the spider injection system. Ran great untill one morning I went out and nothing. Canked two little sputters and then nothing. I serched forum after forum. I had good spark ( I thought ) I kept pulling plugs and had a great white brite spark......the plugs were wet when I pulled them. I tried everything. Here is what my hours of frustration have found.

The distributors on the early W's sucked and GM knew about and put out a bulliton. Especially if you have a/c from what I found. If you have a problem like me just go out and buy a new distributor, cap and rotor. The OEMs sucked! Chances are even if you are getting a good spark when you pull a plug the cap / rotor may be junk and the way the distributor is designed sucked. They are plastic and develop small cracks letting moisture in. I got in for $80 bucks and problem solved. Truck fired right up and runs great.

I hope this helps some one sometime. Good luck if you having problems.
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to our forums first of all, and great info. thanks for sharing it. every little piece that someone posts could def help someone somewhere along the way.