Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

454 Block Interchange

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Block Interchange

Hi all,

First post here....

I'm going to look at an RV on Sunday that has a windowed 454 in it. The price is right and I'm told everything else is fine with it so I find the prospect pretty intriguing. I've done plenty of engine swaps, including a 440 in a Winnebago, but never a big block Chevy. So....question is what other 454 blocks can I use to replace this 1984 454 block in a manner where I can swap EVERYTHING over?

Are there other blocks I can use where I can swap ALMOST everything over but get away with later model stuff for the things that won't directly bolt on?

In the searches I've found that there was a major change to the block in '91, but that block might work except there's no provision for a manual fuel pump (though this '84 might have an electric one anyway - don't know yet).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old November 20th, 2017, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - I had forgotten that I posted this message here almost 4 years ago.

I didn't get any replies, but if anyone is interested....I got that RV in 2013 for $400. It's a 31-foot Class A. I found a GM Performance 454 on Craigslist with an early 90s date code. The engine came right out the driver's side door without a problem. "New" engine went in the same way and everything bolted up just fine. I didn't put the smog pump or associated plumbing back on it. We just wrapped up our 4th camping season with it. The Chevy P-30 chassis is primitive which is the way I like it. Except for an HEI failure last trip out, I really haven't had any problems with it at all.