Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

94 Astro wont start

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2011, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 Astro wont start

hello folks, my name is Luke and i am joining this web site because i have always had good
luck getting help and info from people that are owners of certain vehicles. i have a 86
monte carlo CL custom that my son and I built and i am a member of the national monte carlo
association. but my problem now is with my wifes 94 astro XLT 2wd 4.3 TBI started having a
hesitation from start all the way up to cruizing speed, almost a misfire.
right now i am stuck because it will not start. in feb of this year i replaced the intake
gasket, complete tune up, plugs,wires,dist cap/rotor,starting module,coil,idleair valve,
TPS, EGR "gasket/Screen" and all was good up until 2 weeks ago. then the starteling started.
a week ago sunday i decided to replace the spark plugs, did the passenger side and tried to
start and it did not. since then i have went through 2 sets of plugs "filing them out" a new
set of plug wires, cap/rotor, coil, and distributor. reset timing just in case but this
thing will not fire up. i have spark and good cones of gas but when i try to start it
makes a good attempt then upon stalling a puff of vapor/smoke comes out of the TBI holes
that smell like oil, not burnt oil, just like oil. this van we've had for 5 years, we bought
it with 86K on it and now she has 155K, it has been maintained religiously, it is my wifes
baby. i am at a total loss... i need some point of direction to check next... she treates
this van like i treat my show car. can someone give some input no mater how bad the news
might be.. cam toasted? even worse motor?
i do appreciate any input and thank you in advance
Luke