Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

96 K1500 fuel pump issues?!

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2013, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 96 K1500 fuel pump issues?!

I have a 1996 K1500 Chevrolet truck 4WD 5.7L, I had the fuel pump replaced last month as well as the relay. Before I replaced the pump, it wasn't getting fuel pressure. It would just crank, and not start. So I changed the pump and it started about 5 times, then about the 6th time it just kept cranking over not starting, so I was back to the same problem as before. I then replaced the relay and it worked. It's been sitting for a few weeks, went to drive it and it cuts out really bad to the point it dies while driving. Now it's not wanting to start and when it does, it will only stay running for a second then die. Please help! I also wanted to note, that there is a hot wire running from the pump into the relay!? The relay itself is also getting hot to the touch.. If anyone could help me figure out what to do next, besides run this thing off a cliff - it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by mistyrachelle; July 10th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old July 28th, 2013, 9:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Check the wiring that goes to the fuel pump.

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...ay-getting-hot
Old August 11th, 2014, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 98 Chevy Cheyenne 6cyl. truck. I am having problems starting it. But once I get it started it starts all day perfectly. I have changed the fuel Filter out and I am still having this problem. Help!!
Old August 17th, 2014, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

If I remember correctly the fuel pump power is staged. With the key in start, there is power to the pump. But after releasing the key back to run position the power to the pump goes through the oil pressure switch. You will need to check all the wiring. A temperature "hot" wire or relay is cause by a over current condition. Which can be caused a lot of different ways. Always check what was last done for any issues. Pinched wires etc. bad ground connections. Check to see if the pump is supposed to cycle on and off.

Last edited by Rftlts; August 17th, 2014 at 8:18 PM.