Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2018, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problems

First off, my apologies if I am posting in the wrong section. I’m new to the forum so hold on tight. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 6.6L. Last year the AC worked but would freeze up and stop blowing, then eventually thaw out and work again. This year it doesn’t work at all. I put a test light on the compressor plugs and had no power to the compressor. I don’t know whether or not to replace it or if it’s an electrical issue somewhere. All the fuses are good. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old May 14th, 2018, 9:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the system has low pressure...the low pressure switch will open and not allow the compressor to turn on
you could briefly (to long and the compressor will be damaged) jumper the low pressure switch...if it engages the compressor...have the system recovered, charged and leak tested.

how were you able to confirm the evaporator froze up?
Old May 15th, 2018, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if the system has low pressure...the low pressure switch will open and not allow the compressor to turn on
you could briefly (to long and the compressor will be damaged) jumper the low pressure switch...if it engages the compressor...have the system recovered, charged and leak tested.

how were you able to confirm the evaporator froze up?
all the lines and evaporator were covered with ice. I’ll give that a try and let you know
Old May 15th, 2018, 3:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

That is indicative of low freon charge, and since it is a closed system, you have a leak.
Old May 15th, 2018, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
That is indicative of low freon charge, and since it is a closed system, you have a leak.
Ok, Iv tried putting Freon in it but it says it’s full. Should I just go ahead and drain the system? Do would I go about finding the leak?
Old May 15th, 2018, 5:45 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by okstate31

Ok, Iv tried putting Freon in it but it says it’s full. Should I just go ahead and drain the system? Do would I go about finding the leak?
Ok, what say's it's full? If the system is full, freon isn't the problem.
Old May 15th, 2018, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Ok, what say's it's full? If the system is full, freon isn't the problem.
Just hooking the hoses up, gauge says it’s full. Is it normal to not have power to the compressor? Like I said earlier, I took the plugs out and put a test light on them and there was nothing
Old May 15th, 2018, 7:18 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by okstate31

Just hooking the hoses up, gauge says it’s full. Is it normal to not have power to the compressor? Like I said earlier, I took the plugs out and put a test light on them and there was nothing
Actually like you didn't say. You can put gauges on static, you should read same across the compressor. If the system has a charge that will allow the compressor to operate, then start systematically troubleshooting where you don't have power to the ac clutch.