Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2012, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any thoughts?

I recently purchased a 2003 tracker zr2 to replace vehicle lost in Sandy.

Just discovered that 4wd will not engage. Light on dash flashes, pump goes on but will not shut off in 4wd. Front axle will not engage.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thx
Old December 18th, 2012, 9:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Its the front axle vacuum actuator

Old December 20th, 2012, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

I appreciate your reply. I had a chevy s-10 and knew where the actuator was on that truck, but I still have been unable to locate it on this tracker. I pulled out the electric pump and put it into 4wd. Pump stays on, does not shut off, and front axle does not lock and 4wd light continues to flash. I'm stuck.
Old December 20th, 2012, 9:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure its the actuator? What did you base that off of? You come off like you are just tying to sell parts. If he buys this actuator from you and his 4wd still does not work then are you going to refund him his money? Do you realize he has a tracker and you posted a video for a S15/ Blazer

Last edited by MDTAHOE; December 20th, 2012 at 9:46 PM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 3:25 AM
CF Beginner

Look, I'm not exactly computer literate. I am just learning to navigate this site and all these abbreviations are confusing. I can pm? public thread? OK, I'll work on it. I also have worked on cars, restoration of old muscle cars like forever. I own at the moment, three trackers, (1990, 2001, 2003) two of these vehicles are replacement vehicles (except for the 90 for what was lost in the storm) a 1976 vega with a vette engine that i put in,and a suzuki sidekick(parts interchangeable with tracker, but was under water). The 1990 tracker is the only vehicle that survived Sandy.....amazing. That alone says alot about the older vehicles. All I know, is, snow is coming and I have no 4wd......from what I have read, I thought it was the actuator also.......but........i can't find it.
Old December 21st, 2012, 5:36 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

PM= private message. Statement is part of my signature. It is just a general statement not directed at you.

1.Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
2.Disconnect the actuator pump assembly electrical connector
3.Remove the bolts (1) and the actuator pump assembly.

These are the best instructions I found in the factory manual. Three steps and one picture. For some reason when I click on actuator it calls it a pump. Must be very easy/ out in the open as labor time is only a half hour. I will look a little further later.
Attached Thumbnails any thoughts?-101721329.gif  
Old December 21st, 2012, 5:40 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Here another picture where it shows it being called an actuator pump. Still not a good pic but maybe it will look familiar under your truck
Attached Thumbnails any thoughts?-101718092.gif  
Old December 23rd, 2012, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks everyone for your help. I thought that it was the actuator pump, and from the pictures posted, it looks like what I had pulled out and had in my hand. I didn't think it was the right part though. I am going to see if I can find a used one that works. The guy I have been dealing with in PA, unfortunately, though he had a tracker, the light was doing the same thing (blinking) so we figured it had the same problem. I'll let you know when I get it fixed and if that was actually the right part. Happy Holidays!
Old December 24th, 2012, 1:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Are you sure its the actuator? What did you base that off of? You come off like you are just tying to sell parts. If he buys this actuator from you and his 4wd still does not work then are you going to refund him his money? Do you realize he has a tracker and you posted a video for a S15/ Blazer
I honestly did not realized what link I posted. Thank you for pointing that out.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5003/auctz.jpg
^location of where the actuator is.

I based it off of his symptoms and what ive seen before. It could have been the actuator or something wrong with the front differential. I just hoped he would find his solution with the actuator.

Noo im not here trying to sell parts. Check all my posts, never once have I referred to my website for parts. Ive never told anyone to buy parts.. all I do is attempt to give helpful advice.

Last edited by go-part; December 24th, 2012 at 2:35 AM.
Old January 11th, 2013, 4:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default update

just wanted to touch base.........replaced the actuator. wasn't the problem. unfortunately, after re-reading my responses, i guess it may be that front differential.......don't know if i'm willing to even have it repaired at this point. it's picked up some new squealing noise now and i just don't have the time or patience to repair it. BUT....I did pick up another tracker!!! it does have 4wd. it's a 1999 convertable. May just dump the one and put this one on the road. If these temperatures hold, i may not even need 4wd! Like I said.....the older vehicles rock! one of these days i'll get some pictures up!! will have to get the kid to show me how.