Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 suburban headlights dim when shifting from 1st to second any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2014, 1:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 suburban headlights dim when shifting from 1st to second any thoughts

My 200 chevy suburban 100 4wd headlights dim when it shifts from first to second
Any thoughts on why this might happen
Not sure if it does it with 4wd.
I dont use 4wd very often to notice,
The dash voltmeter does not go down
when the dimming occurs.

Thanks for the replie in advance
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

welcome to the forum...
It could be RPM related, might want to have the alternator checked
I would first check the battery cables, and the ground cable from the engine to the body, the negative from the battery to the engine and the positive from the alternator to the battery... they need to be clean and solidly connected...
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Cleaning the battery connections and the ground connections is always a good place to start. Try to get everything SHINY clean! Get emery paper...or even a razor knife...to get all the grey crap off.

Your symptoms do seem a bit odd...can you describe them a little more completely? When you shift to second gear...is it a flicker that comes back? Or do they stay dim in second then the get bright when you jump to third gear?

If it is RPM related, you should be able to keep it in PARK and rev the engine up and down. Would suggest, too, that you should get a volt meter to do your troubleshooting...I'm not sure how accurate the dashboard gauge is.
Old September 12th, 2023, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bayerasa
My 200 chevy suburban 100 4wd headlights dim when it shifts from first to second
Any thoughts on why this might happen
Not sure if it does it with 4wd.
I dont use 4wd very often to notice,
The dash voltmeter does not go down
2002 chevy suburban headlights
when the dimming occurs.

Thanks for the replie in advance
Hello, I just bought an 02 Tahoe over the weekend, and I just noticed the headlights with the interior gauge lights stay on all the time. The light next to the turn signal light is the Day Time Running lights right? isnt these suppose to stay on during the day, and then switch off at night? when they switch off, doesnt the regular headlights and guages turn on at night?? could it be the light sensor on the dash? if so, how can i check if its working? or is there a way to maybe switch it back to have the running lights working during the day (the lights next to the turn signal)? Hope someone can enlighten me on this, cause i dont have a clue. thanks all,