Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Blower Motor Resistor

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2009, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor Resistor

I have a Colorado 5.3 lt 5 cyl Z71. The switch on the blower only worked on the high (#4) position. I changed the resistor. All positions worked for about 2 hours. Then the switch went bake to only working on position 4 once again. I would like to know what ohmic values for the resistor should be if read with an ohm meter? My guess is I have a bad terminal pin on the connector. If I do have a bad pin can if be changed? Where would I be able to purchase the pin?
Old January 12th, 2009, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Blower Motor Resistor

Unless the connector to the resistor looks burnt/brown/black/melted, it's a good possibility that the blower motor is bad and drawing too many amps. That being said, a GM dealer should have the terminal but they'll try to sell you a pigtail/connector that probably costs more than the resistor.
Old January 12th, 2009, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

The resistors I have taken out all had one pin that was black. Does anyone know what the ohmic value of a good resistor? I am thinking that I have been changing these resistors and the clip that is causing the pin on the resistor to arc.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you buy the resistor? Could just be a bad part. New does not mean good. I would put another one in and see if it happens again before I wasted alot of time and effort over thinking it.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Burnt pins are actually very common. Ive replaced quite a few connectors and have never had a comeback. Chevy will sell you a whole new connector not a pin. Of course Ive always replace the resistor with the connector. Your pin was burnt before you replaced the resistor not after.
Old January 13th, 2009, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

I went to the my Chevy Dealer and they said I would have to buy the whole wire harness ($50.00). I was told they might be able to get or sell me a pin to replace the bad female pin in my connector. Does anyone know the part number of this connector and where it might be purchased? In advanced, thanks for all the advice!