Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Brake Issues - HELP - CHEVY LUMINA 1998

Old July 12th, 2010, 10:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Issues - HELP - CHEVY LUMINA 1998

I got my car back from the mechanic a while ago, They did my back rotors and pads. All was good besides of a burning smell for the first few days, I figure the oil they use on the rotors burning off. Today i hear a pulsating grinding sound.. When going really slow with no break is very faint and can barely hear it then after hitting the brakes it gets louder... Do you think its my pads not installed right or my caliper? Since it gets louder when I hit my \brakes I assume the caliper is working properly?
Old July 13th, 2010, 9:55 AM
CF Junior Member

and my no traction thing comes one randomly when it shouldnt and i think that ****s with my brakes... making me not able to stop.
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

A "Burning" smell for a couple of days is not normal and would indicate improper installation. A stuck caliper or improperly installed pads could burn your pads and lead to metal on metal grinding, or possibly a warped rotor. Do you feel a pulsing in your brake peddle while braking?

Last edited by ss_services; July 13th, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
CF Junior Member

ever since the noise I can kinda feel a slight pulsation in my petal, in sync with the noise. Its raining here now and the noise is gone in the rain.

The noise gets louder when I press the break so I assume the caliper is not siezed... and the brake pads are 3 weeks old even if the caliper was siezed i would of heard the grinding this whole time would i not?
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Junior Member

i couldnt feel any pulsation when i was driving just now in the rain... so i dunno what the **** it is... ugh this car is driving me nuts
Old July 13th, 2010, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

A sticky caliper, not seized, will still apply braking power, but may not fully release causing non-stop friction between the pads and rotors. This heats up the rotor causing it to warp (burning smell) which is why you may feel pulsing in the brake peddle). Eventually the pads will be burnt away, leaving you with metal on metal grinding. I would pull the wheels off and visually inspect the rotors for groove or other signs of unusual wear. And check to insure the brake pads are seated properly.

Good luck.

Post any findings you get.
Old July 13th, 2010, 2:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I did this this morning and this is what I found. Keep in mind ive only had these brakes for 3 weeks, and is my back brake.

On the side I think the noise is coming from the pads look worn on the outside pad but not as worn on the inside pad. the rotor itself doesn't look to be damaged, i rub my finger on it and it feels smooth where the brakes hit and where they don't. There is some kind of plate on the brake pad itself maybe its hitting something. The noise is more of a clicking noise then a grinding one happening in sequence, as i get slower there farther apart and as a drive faster its closer.

Thanks for your input so far man, I highly appreciate it.
Old July 14th, 2010, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Wearing noticeably more on the outside pad is a very strong indication of the caliper slides not sliding easily enough. I recommend removing the caliper and applying anti-seize to the slides. It only requires you remove two bolts. (Do not disconnect the Brake Hose.) As you re-assemble the caliper/brake pads, ensure pads and the thin metal plates/shims are seated properly. (if the outer pad is severely worn, replace them or even return it to the shop that worked on it.)
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Today I am going to the shop to get it looked at, I think your right it is probably the caliper, I will probably end up buying a new one and getting it installed. Ive changed a caliper before but this one is different with E-brake clip and pivot bolt instead of the regular bolt.
Old July 15th, 2010, 4:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Will I need to remove the e-brake clip to apply WD-40? and willi need to push the piston back in ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Issues - HELP - CHEVY LUMINA 1998