Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Brakes and Rotars Really

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2013, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and Rotars Really

Hello,

I have a large Chevy vehicle with 80K. Just had it checked out and I am being told that its best to replace both pads and rotars. Pads are getting there but there is no indication of bad rotars. Is this what I should do. Wy not put new pads on and keep on driving?

Thanks and really appreciate your thoughts?
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I resurface or replace my rotors everytime I replace brake pads? - Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange

If you tell me the model and year of your vehicle I can tell you how thick the rotors should be before you should replace them.
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fschlenter911
Hello,

I have a large Chevy vehicle with 80K. Just had it checked out and I am being told that its best to replace both pads and rotars. Pads are getting there but there is no indication of bad rotars. Is this what I should do. Wy not put new pads on and keep on driving?

Thanks and really appreciate your thoughts?

Fschlenter911,

I would like to look into your situation. Are you working with a certified GM dealership?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 17th, 2013, 2:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't. The reason is to true up the surface for new pads. After a couple brake jobs, the rotors can be undersized, and hve to be replaced.
Old April 17th, 2013, 2:12 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Depending on the vehicle, the rotors are relativity inexpensive... a set of front pads AND rotors for an 07 Tahoe go for about $140
I'd replace them...
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fschlenter911,

It's nice to have brand new Rotors and Pads on your ride, can't get any better than that.

Likewise, when you turn your Rotors to perfectly flat, that's just about as good, but there's a limit on how many times that can be done, as stated.

But there is a reasonable amount of wear a Rotor can have, and still function well enough, by just replacing the Pads. The idea of this type replacement is NOT to let any metal of the Pad, touch the Rotor, which will really mess it up. Doing just the Pads will allow them to settle into the irregularities of the Rotor, and extend the period of a major expense.

Someone with experience, and a Micrometer, can make a judgment on that for you. The problem with that is, you need to find someone who will look, measure, and give you an honest opinion on what to do.