Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Can I Remove AIR system

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2012, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Remove AIR system

I have an 86 chevy c10 with the stock 305. I really only use this vehicle on the weekends to go to lowes, home depot, haul lawn mower to my dad's house, etc. Not a daily driver. Also I should metion it does not have to pass emmsions and has an "antique" tag on it.

I just recently acquired this vehicle from a realtive (first mistake..lol) and although it ran I new it had some problems. I have removed the carbureator (quadrajet) and installed a new eldelbrock. (before the bashing begins understand that I am not a vehicle mechanic and my knowledge is limited and I was told by someone I trust to put this new one on because unless I know what I am doing with the quadrajet I might have issues fine tuning it.) I may not be a true mechanic I like to use this one to learn on so I do all of the work myself (within reason). While I am at it i have put all new hoses, thermostat, etc.

Now to my question... Can I remove the AIR (air injection reaction) system? (smog pump,air injection pipe, diverter valve,check valews, etc.)

My limited knowledge says yes and all I should have to do is make sure I plug the exhaust ports where I remove the tubes so I dont have an exhaust leak under the hood. Everything that I find leads back to the emmisions and I do understand and respect that but in my current situation I dont think that would apply. Thanks for the help.
Old January 26th, 2012, 8:24 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you want to remove it?
Old January 26th, 2012, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Someone else asked me that same question at work. Basically just to clean up the engine also since I'm new to this I wanted to remove anything not needed so that I wont be confused in the future. Right now as it stands its kinda "busy" under the hood and I thought removing some of that stuff might just clean it up a bit. I think back to my 76 GMC truck (yes i know its a 76 not an 86) and it was clean.. not all of that emissions.... stuff. You could actually get in there and work. ..........So in a nut shell ........its purely aesthetics...lol
Old January 27th, 2012, 6:54 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can remove it.
Old January 28th, 2012, 5:51 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks
Old August 5th, 2012, 8:43 AM
CF Junior Member

How Can You Remove It I Have A 90 K1500 With Smog Pump
Old August 5th, 2012, 1:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Yes you can remove it.
X2. As far as the quadrajet, I'd never have anything but. You are correct with tunning them, once you get the jets matched to ect, it is IMHO the best. I have a 2gc on my delta 88, if I ever get partially out of debt, I'll slap a quad on that 455.
Old April 15th, 2017, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default A.I.R. System

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Yes you can remove it.
how and will it set a code