Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Carb isn't getting any gas

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2013, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb isn't getting any gas

Hello,

I'm working on an old 1984 350 engine and cannot get it started. The fuel pump is new, fuel line is new, fuel filter is new and when checking to see if any fuel is getting to the carburetor, it is flowing just fine. However, no fuel is being delivered into the carburetor. I got it to start by pouring gasoline in the float, but it only stays running until that little bit of gas is burned, which is only seconds. I cleaned it out and it still didn't get any gas. It is a fairly new rebuilt carburetor. The problem, for a fact, is that it is getting to the carb, but it it not getting into the carb.

What would cause the carburetor to not receive the gas?

Thanks

Last edited by KarenLM; August 27th, 2013 at 3:36 AM.
Old August 26th, 2013, 8:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Try cleaning the carb

How Do I Clean the Carburetor If Old Gas Has Clogged It?
Old August 27th, 2013, 3:37 AM
CF Beginner

I did clean it. It is a fairly new carburetor. That isn't the problem, but thanks.
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

What carb are you working with? And what fuel filter did you replace, was it inline or at the carb? Did you put the filter in backwards?
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Rochester 4 barrel. The fuel filter was installed properly and I have disconnected the fuel pump line to verify that gasoline is flowing to the carburetor. Everything is working properly. In fact, I removed everything to make sure the fuel filter (with a check valve) was installed properly and it is. I believe the float is stuck, so I am going to focus on that first before taking it apart. I poured gasoline in the float bowl and it started up, but after the gasoline ran out, it stopped, because no gas is entering the carburetor from the fuel line.
Old August 29th, 2013, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like a plan. That's where I'd start as well. Wouldn't hurt to spay out any ports with carb cleaner and shop air. Has the engine been sitting for a long period of time? Were you driving and the engine stopped or is is just a project you decided to work on. My real question is when did the problem start?

Best of luck.