Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

CAR ISN"T RUNNING RIGHT HELP...

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2006, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAR ISN"T RUNNING RIGHT HELP...

Hi Everyone, My Dad bought a used 04' aveo and a brand new 05 aveo this year. We both have made good uses out of them. The only problem is mine the 04' is acting up now.. I have almost 25,000 miles on it, and sometimes when i start to slow down to about 40mph the car totally stops. The engine light comes on and the oil light etc.. and i have to start the car back up and give it gas. Does anyone think this is a FUEL FILTER PROBLEM? or something electrical.. Now today when I got into the car it ran perfectly? I went to autozone to get a filter and they don't carry CHEVY AVEO parts.. Go figure.. NO MANUALS NOTHING so i guess i am going to have to go to a chevy dealer and order a filter and maybe a manual. I am driving to michigan next week and i need this car runnin great so i won't break down.. Any suggestions?? Its a pain to have to try to steer it when it quits, and i have to totally stop and restart the engine. Someone please help me.. Where can i even get a manual? ONLINE somewhere?? Cuz my dad has no clue where the fuel filter is.. He said he will probably bypass it if he gets to it. Gotta find a filter first etc.. hahaha... Any suggestions would be appreciated.. THANKS
Old April 19th, 2006, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: CAR ISN"T RUNNING RIGHT HELP...

Also wanted to let ya all know.. I called chevy dealer today.. THE won't make manuals for the aveo's for another 4-5 years... THE AVEO"S do NOT have fuel filters.. So now i don't know what to do?? my car is running fine now.. But when it acts up it does it the rest of the day.. hmmmmmm. I suppose it is some form of electronic thingy? Anyone know?? does anyone work on these car's yet??
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
CF Senior Member

i would say if it dosent have a filter i would definatly put an inline one on it. it may be your feul pump. my car would only run if i was reving it but wouldent idle at all.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

fuel pump or it may be electrical, i would go to autozone again and have them put it on their computer to see if it throws any codes..it does kinda sound like a computer short out too.....
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Desdemona

Also wanted to let ya all know.. I called chevy dealer today.. THE won't make manuals for the aveo's for another 4-5 years... THE AVEO"S do NOT have fuel filters.. So now i don't know what to do?? my car is running fine now.. But when it acts up it does it the rest of the day.. hmmmmmm. I suppose it is some form of electronic thingy? Anyone know?? does anyone work on these car's yet??
The electronic service manual for the Aveo shows a service procedure for a fuel filter so I would say yours has a filter. Also, service manuals are available at www.helminc.com .
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

What you're describing does sound like a bad fuel pump. A bad fuel filter will be consistently troublesome. Is the check engine light on? If so, you should have some codes stored to help you diagnose the ailment. I'd forget going to auto zone or pep boys for the scanner. You can buy a cheap one off of Ebay and then have it for yourself to use whenever you need it. I bought mine for ~$30, and it automatically resets the computer when it's unplugged. Mine paid for itself the day I received it.
Old July 18th, 2007, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

I went to www.helminc.com and they do not have manuels for my aveo.
Old July 26th, 2007, 3:37 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2005 Aveo equipped with the 1.6L engine does not have a servicable fuel filter.
It could be a plugged air filter, a faulty fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or injector(s), contaminated fuel, a bad engine crank sensor or the engine, a stuck open or damaged EVAP canister purge selonoid and the last thing that I can think of is the Crankshaft Position Variation needs to be relearned.

It is also neering time to replace the spark plugs as well.