Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Carburetors and Winter

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2020, 6:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Question Carburetors and Winter

Hello, I guess this will probably be a pretty general topic, but I want to ask because it simply is not part of life anymore, and I know many older than me will be able to elaborate. Being a early 2000's kid I know very little about carburetors. I feel comfortable in their fundamentals of operation, but I have never actualy been around a carburated car long enough to know what it is like to live with. Now, I know this is a loaded question, but I am assuming a properly adjusted carb on a normal street engine, I am not concerned with anything like power adders, or other modifications. I am mainly curious on winter conditions, but would also like to know about how they might behave in the hot summer, and on things like restarts. I ask because I am interested in getting a car as a pleasure vehicle and would like to be able to drive it year round, but would like to know what I am getting into. Thanks for your input, and I hope you can give me some good info.
Old August 26th, 2020, 7:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Dude with a face
Hello, I guess this will probably be a pretty general topic, but I want to ask because it simply is not part of life anymore, and I know many older than me will be able to elaborate. Being a early 2000's kid I know very little about carburetors. I feel comfortable in their fundamentals of operation, but I have never actualy been around a carburated car long enough to know what it is like to live with. Now, I know this is a loaded question, but I am assuming a properly adjusted carb on a normal street engine, I am not concerned with anything like power adders, or other modifications. I am mainly curious on winter conditions, but would also like to know about how they might behave in the hot summer, and on things like restarts. I ask because I am interested in getting a car as a pleasure vehicle and would like to be able to drive it year round, but would like to know what I am getting into. Thanks for your input, and I hope you can give me some good info.
Temperature will only have a hot air, or electric choke to warm up the engine. Hot air choke is a thermal spring that attaches to the intake manifold to choke plate, when it heats up (engine) it opens the choke plate, electric choke does the same. If you are asking about fuel ratio, it isn't. The fuel metering jets are subgjet to change for altitude, not temperature.
Old August 26th, 2020, 7:28 PM
CF Active Member

Thank you @kevinkpk , I am not really concerned about anything technical like fuel ratio, or altitude, although I am at about 4200 feet. What I was getting at is what is it like to live with. For example, a winter cold start, I already acknowledge that letting a carburetor car warm up is pretty much necessary, but will have to deal with hard starts or only being able to start it at certain temps? Thank you for your advice.
Old August 27th, 2020, 8:07 PM
CF Active Member

Anyone else got some input? I would love to learn, if anyone is up to sharing, thanks.