Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tips on buying older cars?

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on buying older cars?

Hello!

I am new to this site, and I just have a few questions that maybe someone could help me with. I have always had a thing for older cars since I was very young, as I assume many of you have as well, but especially for the old camaros. I found an IROC Z (what looks like a 1985-1988), and I think the guy had it priced at 800, however I did not have time to stop and get a phone number or really look at the car (its in my neighborhood so no biggie). I plan on headed back over and getting a phone number and look at the car and what-not. I'll update you guys on the price and overall condition of the car, but Do you have any tips on what to look out for when purchasing a car like this? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 7:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

do you live in a rust belt? If yes, make sure the body isn't full of holes. Cars this old that sit for a long time on grass won't be worth restoring.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 9:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

tech2 is 100% correct. I have purchased many older cars, older than the 80's and the most important thing is the rust issue. If it has rust it is very difficult and expensive to repair correctly. I would much rather work on mechanical problems.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
do you live in a rust belt? If yes, make sure the body isn't full of holes. Cars this old that sit for a long time on grass won't be worth restoring.
I live in florida, and it doesn't appear to have much sun damage so i'm guessing that it was originally kept inside a shed or garage; however at the moment it is being kept on a platform outside. The outside of the car looks in pretty decent condition, and i'll try and get the number and call the guy to get the whole story on the car. The price is $750, as it says on the windshield.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 1:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

I live in Florida. What you have to watch out for is if you live near the ocean, you get salt spray on your car and then you get some rust unless it is rinsed off all the time.