Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chemical smell in cabin after actuator replaced

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2020, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chemical smell in cabin after actuator replaced

I brought my car in to the dealer because apparently one of the actuators had gone bad (the same one that had been replaced last year). They replaced the actuator. They also replaced the right rear brake caliper, changed the oil and filter, and rotated the tires. When I went to pick up my car (a 2012 Chevrolet Impala Classic), there was a very strong chemical smell in the cabin that wasn't there before. I thought maybe they had sprayed the inside of the car because of the covid virus. The next day, I left the car out with all the windows open hoping the smell would go away. It didn't. I brought it back into the dealer and talked to the service manager. He said they didn't use any spray in the car, and he thought the smell was coming from the vent. I doubted that, but I decided to give it another week. I tried airing it out few more days but the smell is still there. I'm pretty sure it's not coming from the vents because in fact if I turned the fan on with air from the outside, it significantly diminishes the smell. But when I turn the fan off, the smell starts accumulating again. I'm assuming the smell has something to do with the actuator getting replaced. Any idea what it might be?
Old December 19th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did they have to remove the dash and hvac box to replace the actuator? if yes...is the smell coolant?

the actuator itself is an electric motor in a plastic housing. I have never had one create an odour.
Old December 19th, 2020, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
did they have to remove the dash and hvac box to replace the actuator? if yes...is the smell coolant?

the actuator itself is an electric motor in a plastic housing. I have never had one create an odour.
I'm not sure if they removed the dash and hvac box. Since they did it under warranty, they didn't give any details or labor charge that might have indicated what exactly they did. I tried comparing the smell between what's in the cabin and the coolant in engine compartment and I don't think they are the same. But I've got an appointment at the dealership on Monday for them to try to find out what's causing the smell. I'll ask them whether they removed the dash and hvac. If it is the coolant, would that be due to a leak that happened when they replaced the actuator?

Last edited by roger-e; December 19th, 2020 at 4:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old December 19th, 2020, 4:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the hvac case was remove the heater core may have been tweeked and is leaking or may have dripped coolant onto the floor. This is all speculation.
The following users liked this post:
roger-e (December 19th, 2020)
Old December 19th, 2020, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

This is useful information for me to have when I bring the car into the dealer. Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2022, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roger-e:

Was the problem resolved? And was the cause determined? I'm having the same problem...
Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2022, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SlinkyBelle
roger-e:

Was the problem resolved? And was the cause determined? I'm having the same problem...
Thanks!
Never resolved, still a problem. It's worse in warm weather which makes me think some chemical is getting heated. It's strong if I have the air coming in from the vent, much less if I have the air inside recirculating.

Actually, I had the same problem with my 2008 Chevrolet Impala. One of the servicemen at the dealership told me he also had that issue with his Impala. He said he wasn't aware of anyway to get rid of it.
The following users liked this post:
SlinkyBelle (July 8th, 2022)
Old July 8th, 2022, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chemical smell post actuator replacement

Originally Posted by roger-e
Never resolved, still a problem. It's worse in warm weather which makes me think some chemical is getting heated. It's strong if I have the air coming in from the vent, much less if I have the air inside recirculating.

Actually, I had the same problem with my 2008 Chevrolet Impala. One of the servicemen at the dealership told me he also had that issue with his Impala. He said he wasn't aware of anyway to get rid of it.

Appreciate the response, roger-e. (Of course, not the response I wanted to read.)

Possible good news for me however, is that when I finally was able to bring my car to the dealership to resolve/evaluate the smell issue, the smell had dissipated to almost nothing. Mechanic who did the actuator replacement speculated that it could have been residue from (not sure now exactly what he said here) “the brake cleaner” which “got caught under the A/C vents” but had now dried/blown away. All fluid levels were checked and were good, and we couldn’t find any puddle underneath vehicle indicating a leak.

Guess time will tell.

Sorry that you’re enduring that smell issue — twice!!

Last edited by SlinkyBelle; July 8th, 2022 at 2:03 PM. Reason: clarification