Chevy pickup OBD I to non OBD I - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy pickup OBD I to non OBD I

Old November 14th, 2018, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Question Chevy pickup OBD I to non OBD I

Hi, I have a 1989 k 1500 pickup that I think has an OBD I computer?
I'm older and not to savy on the computer end and would like to be able to do the work on it myself, so I would like to put a non-computerized engine and transmission in it. Engine in it is getting a little wore.

What do I have to do to switch the pickup over to non-computerized?

What about the gauges and speedometer, etc.?

Any help I can get will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old December 2nd, 2018, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Carbed motor with turbo 400 trans since its a vacuum line coming off the intake. That allows it to run and drive. Electronics are fun since the dash itself is electronic. Water temp I have an aftermarket mechanical gauge. Gauges are going to have to be mechanical from my understanding. HEI Distributor as well. I have no clue on gauges and still have to figure that out since I'm going the same route soon. I can look at gauge clusters and get back to you if I can find any for all mechanical. My question is why did GM produce a 350 small block that only makes 200 HP off the lot, and put it in a heavy truck?
Old December 2nd, 2018, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Exec.Moose View Post
Carbed motor with turbo 400 trans since its a vacuum line coming off the intake. That allows it to run and drive. Electronics are fun since the dash itself is electronic. Water temp I have an aftermarket mechanical gauge. Gauges are going to have to be mechanical from my understanding. HEI Distributor as well. I have no clue on gauges and still have to figure that out since I'm going the same route soon. I can look at gauge clusters and get back to you if I can find any for all mechanical. My question is why did GM produce a 350 small block that only makes 200 HP off the lot, and put it in a heavy truck?
Thanks for the info Exec.Moose,
I was told that if I go carb. and leave the rest of the computer hooked up the speedo and gauges should work fine.
I'm going to try that first and see. If you do find gauges I would appreciate it if you sent me the information.
I have no idea why GM would put such a low HP in a pickup that most likely will be used for hauling or towing now and then either. I don't know if it was an emissions thing or not.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:08 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, you could leave the stock trans in it. Unplug the top connection on the computer, that controls injectors and stuff like that. Bottom plug controls trans, so it'll be more of a shift module at that point. You can leave the stock fuel pump in, but you'll have to run a mechanical fuel pressure regulator with a return to the tank, from what I understand. With the HEI, you can splice into the wires, I'll have to look up which ones so you can run the tach, if you have a tach dash. I'm just relaying what info I've collected from a few months of research because I haven't found a lot of people doing what I'm doing. Which is changing engine and trans. I'll dig deeper into it and hopefully I can find a solution. Because now that I've just now thought about it, I have no idea how I'm gonna get those gauges to work, unless by some miracle, they still work as they should after the swap. 😂 (Wishful thinking)
Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Exec.Moose View Post
Yeah, you could leave the stock trans in it. Unplug the top connection on the computer, that controls injectors and stuff like that. Bottom plug controls trans, so it'll be more of a shift module at that point. You can leave the stock fuel pump in, but you'll have to run a mechanical fuel pressure regulator with a return to the tank, from what I understand. With the HEI, you can splice into the wires, I'll have to look up which ones so you can run the tach, if you have a tach dash. I'm just relaying what info I've collected from a few months of research because I haven't found a lot of people doing what I'm doing. Which is changing engine and trans. I'll dig deeper into it and hopefully I can find a solution. Because now that I've just now thought about it, I have no idea how I'm gonna get those gauges to work, unless by some miracle, they still work as they should after the swap. 😂 (Wishful thinking)

My transmission, I'm pretty sure is not electronically controlled. It's to old for that. If I'm not mistaking the 4l60e transmission didn't start until 1993. I have an OBDI computer instead of a OBDII.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

Exc,Moose,
I was going to build a rod quite a few years back but had to give up because of medical problem.
But, seems like I remember that there was an electrical speedometer setup that went on a front wheel that some of the hot rodders used. Don't quote me on that but it seems like there was something like that.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

My 94 is a 4L60 with obd 1. Only real way to check is get under the truck and run the numbers on the trans. Should be on the passenger side closer to the top. I think 95 is when the rolled out obd II, but not sure. I've looked on tons of different sites, half saying 94 had a 700R4 and the other half saying 4L60E.
Old December 7th, 2018, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

A quick search revealed a dash kit that changes all gauges to mechanical and looks pretty sweet! They have a variety of gauge options as well. More on the expensive side of things, but it looks clean and they also sell wiring kits to hook everything up. Painless but for a price.

http://classicdash.com/product/1988-...-meter-gauges/
Old December 8th, 2018, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

They probably put both electronic and non-electronic transmissions in for a year or two while they were transitioning over.
That's a nice looking set of gauges.
If my transmission is non-electronic and has a speedometer cable coming off of the transmission I would think my speedometer would still work. And I might just get the other gauges and incorporate them into my existing bezel or get the ones that mount on the piller along side the windshield. I'll be doing a lot of looking like you have, I'm sure.
Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: