Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2012, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Hello to all! I am new to this board with a problem. I have a 1997 van with a 5.7 engine. I have been having a coolant leak and did some reading online. I came to the conclusion it was the intake gasket. I have the intake out and now think I might have been wrong. I looked for the leak when it was running and it was leaking from the drivers side front portion of the engine. I used a mirror and was sure it was the intake. Now that it's apart, I don't see where it could have leaked there and wonder if it is the head gasket instead. I was doing some more reading this afternoon and believe the common issue is with the rear of the intake, and I had no leak there. I would rather do the head gaskets while I am in there, but I am second guessing myself.
Is the common place for the intake gaskets to leak in the rear, and would it more likely the head gasket leaking in the front?
Pete in Texas

Last edited by meworrynot; December 24th, 2012 at 3:20 PM.
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default More info

The leak is under the a/c compressor bracket and was leaking externally, no coolant in oil.

Pete in Texas
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Are you sure that it is not coming from the water pump? This is a common area in the front for leaks. As long as you have already taken the intake out, you should go ahead and change the head gaskets as well. Half of the work is already done. While you are at it, do a valve job.
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Are you sure that it is not coming from the water pump? This is a common area in the front for leaks. As long as you have already taken the intake out, you should go ahead and change the head gaskets as well. Half of the work is already done. While you are at it, do a valve job.
I will be changing the head gaskets, I thin it would be silly not to. Not sure about the water pump, the leak was coming out behind the A/C compressor bracket on the drivers side front of the engine near the top. Could the water pump leak at the gasket on the engine? The van is a 97 with about 60,000 miles so I think it sat alot, not good for gaskets and seals. I just don't want to have to take it apart again...

Thanks for your response,

Pete in Texas
Old December 25th, 2012, 7:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The water pump usually leaks through the weep holes and not the mounting gasket unless one of the bolts come loose. Use a flashlight and see if you can see the water pump and where the leak is.
Old December 25th, 2012, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The water pump usually leaks through the weep holes and not the mounting gasket unless one of the bolts come loose. Use a flashlight and see if you can see the water pump and where the leak is.
It is definitely not coming from the weep hole, It has to be the drivers side head gasket then. I am going to do the gaskets then, I'm already half way there with the intake off.

Thank you

Pete in Texas