Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Electronic distributor

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2022, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic distributor

Just looking for info...I have a 75 Chevy 350 in My 56 Pickup. Recently bought and runs out excellent. The electronic module in the distributor quit the other day leaving me stranded. Lucky for Me My Daughter in law and Son came to tow me home. I contacted the seller and He NOW tells me that when He bought the truck the 350 wouldn't start and He installed a "used" module in the distributor and it ran fine but He had not put a lot of miles on the engine. My question is "if" this goes bad again soon, what can be causing the issue externally ? Should I consider a new distributor if it goes bad soon ? The modules are not cheap and a PITA to change for an old guy. I also changed the condenser pigtail. I know that's just a capacitor but while in the distributor I figured I'd shotgun the entire internals. Thanks in advance to all. Thank You Chevy Forum
Old September 26th, 2022, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Over 100 reviews and not a single comment for help/opinion. Guess I'll look elsewhere.
Old September 26th, 2022, 1:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Erzmo
Over 100 reviews and not a single comment for help/opinion. Guess I'll look elsewhere.
Module's don't go bad if hardley ever. It is probably the pickup coil. You can remove it. I'd check pin resiistance to ground, not sure what to look for as the insulation between the base of the pickup coil, can wear out causing the coil to short. If that's the case, remove the coil, you will be able to visibly see any damage.
Old September 26th, 2022, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

ty for the info