Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

External Coil Resistor/Engine ID

Old September 18th, 2009, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Coil Resistor/Engine ID

I have a Chevy motor that's been transplanted into an old IH Scout. It has a non-Hei ignition with an external coil resistor and a Crane XR 700 igniton. It also has an oil filler in the manifold and not the valve cover. The valve covers are script and say Chevrolet. I have not had the time to look for casting numbers yet, but was wondering if between the external coil resistor and oil fill if someone could give me a ball park year? It won't start and I have to do some re-wiring of the igniton, so I'm trying to gather as much info before I dig into it. It was running when I parked it, I pulled apart the ignition wires and got busy with something else, when I put everything back together I get nothing, not even a click, with a fresh battery, I assume something is hooked up wrong/not hooked up at all. This is an off-road only machine and has been really hacked up over the years in the wiring department, I think I'm going to start fresh.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Stan