Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Fan belt squeal

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2021, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan belt squeal

I have a 2008 Silverado LTZ 5.3 I bought new. The fan belts started squealing 2 months later. I replaced the belts. Two months or less later they're squealing again. Replaced the belts. I've been doing this for 11 years. Then I replaced all the idler wheels and both tensioners. 6 moths later the belts are squealing again. Other than what I'm doing now, is there a fix I don't know about?
I've had vehicles that I never had to replace a fan belt or idler wheel or tensioner. What's up with this Chevy?
Thank you
Old January 6th, 2021, 1:17 PM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Welcome from Florida. I would look for a cause of the problem. Is there an alignment issue with the pulleys? Are you getting the correct belts? I had a squealing problem a few years ago and it turned out that the auto parts store sold me a belt that was a bit too long. Is oil getting on the belts? Is it both belts squealing or just one of them?
Old January 14th, 2021, 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing Belt

Originally Posted by Anthony A
I have a 2008 Silverado LTZ 5.3 I bought new. The fan belts started squealing 2 months later. I replaced the belts. Two months or less later they're squealing again. Replaced the belts. I've been doing this for 11 years. Then I replaced all the idler wheels and both tensioners. 6 moths later the belts are squealing again. Other than what I'm doing now, is there a fix I don't know about?
I've had vehicles that I never had to replace a fan belt or idler wheel or tensioner. What's up with this Chevy?
Thank you
I've had the same problem with my Chevy truck I changed belt, I've bought more expensive belt, I changed pulleys and I could not get the squealing to stop and basically was giving up with my truck until I went to NAPA and bought some BELT DRESSING in a can and sprayed some on the belt and SQUEALING VANISHED never came back !