Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Hood open warning

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2013, 4:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood open warning

I have a 2013 equinox LT everytime I am driving in a hard rain the hoop open warning comes on then it stops raining it does not come on anymore this has happen to me tiwce.
anyone else have the same problem?
thanks
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:49 AM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

Probably the switch that senses the hood. Water is getting in and causing a short. Take it to dealer, it is still under warranty.
Old April 15th, 2013, 2:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Probably the switch that senses the hood. Water is getting in and causing a short. Take it to dealer, it is still under warranty.
X2 ANYTIME you are under warrenty TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. As oldchevy points out switch is getting wet. The dealer/GM if not aware of this being a problem with this model, should record the issue(s) to build a tech bulletin. Least thats what an OEM of anything should do.
Old April 16th, 2013, 3:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hood switch

thanks guys was checking to see if anyone else was having the same problem. that is what I thought the probem was does anyone know where the switch is located maybe the plug is loose hate to being it to dealer and wait for and hour for loose plug?
thanks
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talian57
hate to being it to dealer and wait for and hour
Understood, but, if it's a shoddy part to start with, moisture could have made it even worse, and just a cleaning may only postpone future problems with it. I'd go for the Dealer approach, get it replaced and probably over with.
Old September 16th, 2013, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Another owner with 2013 and same issue

I also own a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox with the same issue. I had the issue at least 3 times last winter when it was sleeting out. I brought the car to the dealer, but they told me they could not fix it because it was not having a problem when I finally made it to the dealer. I had the problem again yesterday when I started my car after it had rained the night before. After 5 minutes driving on the freeway, the alarm quit going off.
I contacted my dealer again, and chevy now has a bulletin on the issue and the dealer is ordering a replacement part.
BTW, the auto start function is no longer working even though the hood alarm is not going off.
Old September 16th, 2013, 3:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rchacich
I also own a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox with the same issue. I had the issue at least 3 times last winter when it was sleeting out. I brought the car to the dealer, but they told me they could not fix it because it was not having a problem when I finally made it to the dealer. I had the problem again yesterday when I started my car after it had rained the night before. After 5 minutes driving on the freeway, the alarm quit going off.
I contacted my dealer again, and chevy now has a bulletin on the issue and the dealer is ordering a replacement part.
BTW, the auto start function is no longer working even though the hood alarm is not going off.
Hello rchacich,

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum! We are happy to have you as part of the community on here. I am sorry you experienced a warning issue with your hood. I see this has been an ongoing issue for you in which you notified the dealer and they were not able to duplicate at the time being. I am glad recently you were in contact with the dealer in which they are able to order a replacement part to repair and resolve this concern. We are here to assist with concerns and questions, so please don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 17th, 2013, 4:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hood switch

Originally Posted by talian57
I have a 2013 equinox LT everytime I am driving in a hard rain the hoop open warning comes on then it stops raining it does not come on anymore this has happen to me tiwce.
anyone else have the same problem?
thanks

they need to replace the hood latch they did mine about 4 months ago have not had anymore trouble