Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

How to disable auto-door looks on 1993 Lumina

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2009, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable auto-door looks on 1993 Lumina

Hi All,

I checked past forums and did not find my answer.

Question: I have a 1993 Chevy Lumina car and just inherited a beautiful 1993 Buick Regal. How can I have the auto-door-locking function disabled in each car? I recently learned this can be done.

My cars automatically lock as soon as soon as the gear shifter hits DRIVE. I am tired of unlocking each time to get out.

I called my local dealer and they want to charge at least a 1/2 hr labor to figure out the issue. Apparently they don't see many old cars like mine anymore. I have been told that there is some wire at the transmission that is accessible from underneath. Disconnecting it solves my problem.

I hope somebody can clearly outline what I need to do to get it done. I would be happy to take it back to my local GM dealer once I know what needs to happen. I don't really want to pay for them to read the manuals.

My cars:
1993 Lumina Car .....3.1V6 ...auto ... console shift
1993 Buick Regal......3.8V6 ...auto ... column shift

Thanks
Ron
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default hi

That has to be the most aggravating feature that GM has ever used in a car. And GM has come up with some doozies. I have never tried to bypass the shifter switch and I don't know of anyone who has. From what I can see from the wiring diagram I don't see how it can be disabled without disabling the power door locks. I will keep you in mind and I will experiment with a car that has that feature. If there is a way to bypass it, I'll find it.

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 150pt;" width="200" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 150pt;" width="200"><tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl24" style="height: 12.75pt; width: 150pt;" width="200" height="17"> Geeks </td> </tr></tbody></table>
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Hi webappln

I talked to a guy this week who had a 93 Lumina car like mine and he said it definately can be disconnected, his was at time of purchase. He has sold the car since.

Also, I rec'd an email from a buddy who asked his GM tech friend, this is how he replied:

This is a very simple fix it is just a matter of cutting the wire to the transmission range switch that feeds an imput into the power locks to lock the doors in park.
If anybody can further explain to me how this is supposed to be done that would be great. I don't mind getting underneath the car and trying myself but I need clearer instructions.

Thanks

Ron