Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Keyless Entry Batter Dies

Old December 4th, 2009, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keyless Entry Batter Dies

Ok guys, I have an odd one for you...

I have a 2005 Silverado 4-door P/U and the battery in the remote died. No big deal, I just swapped remotes and kept on trucking.

That battery dies a few weeks later. I put a new battery in and got about 3 months out of it. This happens in either remote and has been getting worse.

I went from 3 months per battery down to about a week per battery. I went on eBay and bought them in bulk. I keep a sleeve in my center console for quick changes in the parking lot a work.

The guys at the dealership just gave me a new battery, but they had no ideas for me. They blamed my batteries, saying I "was buying cheap ones on the internet" and to "give the GM battery a try."

No offense, and I tried to explain this to them, I have bought Duracell, Energizer, and off brand ones. The effect is the same regardless of whether I by them online or at AutoZone.

Any ideas? I'm afraid to buy a new remote since it affects both of mine now. I don't want to find out it happens on a new one as well.

Thanks!

~Ed
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked online and found 100 cr2032 batteries for $15 with free shipping.

I also found replacment remotes for $20. Would a new remote even work? Is my trucks's keyless entry system sending a signal back to the remote that would cause them to discharge batteries more quickly?
Old December 7th, 2009, 7:22 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

keyless entry fobs are a 1-way operation. It does not recieve a signal from the vehicle at all. It only sends the signal out. I would try a new fob as it is most likely the culprit