Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

LED hyper flash problem solvers ... (?)

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2011, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED hyper flash problem solvers ... (?)

There seems to be a few ideas or schools of thought when it comes to curing hyper flashing those of us encounter when we install LEDs in both taillight places (high & low in 2003s) & front turn signals ... as well as the same phenomena with 4-Way hazard flasher usage.

It was semi-weird when I was just running LEDs in the taillights & the hyper flashing was in the L & R turning situation(s), but when I replaced the front (amber) bulbs with same-color LEDs, the 4-Way was immediately affected.

Luckily, for me, cruise control & the anit-lock brakes have NOT been affected like some other vehicles have reacted ... like a Buick Century I once had ...

Now I have read here & there about wiring a resistor/capacitor between each LED & to continue to use the factory "stock" flasher/relay. Then I have read that what is the best idea is to swap out the flasher/relay for an electronic solid state flasher, & all will work harmoniously.

I am not against doing either, as I am capable of doing either ... but I will say that the flasher swap, etc. would be a better option for me because I am about to pull the dash to install a new head unit & begin to run some wires, cables for near future audio install ...

Only thing is, if cap/resistor is the answer, where should I start to look for the correct load, resistance, etc.?

I will stop rambling here, & hope more than one of you will chime in with an idea or ten ...

Be well,

Zeke
'11