Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Lifetime oil filter

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2010, 8:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Lifetime oil filter

ummm yeah I think I will stick with the disposable for now....

http://news8austin.com/content/top_s...sp?ArID=264712
Old January 24th, 2010, 8:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I like my Fram. I just see that filter falling apart at the wrong time.
Old January 24th, 2010, 9:05 PM
Administrator

I have become a fan of OEM parts, my good neighbor is a manager for a auto parts chain and tells me that yes the OEM ( AC/Delco) do cost a bit more but are much more reliable and he sees very few returns of OEM parts and most ofter then not they are covered by a better warranty as well.
its the proverbial you get what you pay for...
Old January 24th, 2010, 9:07 PM
CF Veteran

We used to use WEX on all the tractors back home. I'll cut a fram open and see. This round is the first time I've ever let a chevy go over 3,000miles on a oil change, but my OLM says I still have 38% left after 5500miles. I gotta change it soon.
Old January 24th, 2010, 9:12 PM
Administrator

if your running full synthetic 6k-12k I think is perfectly acceptable....maybe spin on a new filter at 6k and add a quart and keep going...
regular oil I would have changed by 5k....the every 3k dead line is BS
Old January 24th, 2010, 9:16 PM
CF Veteran

I've had a 89 350, 81 351W, 78 350, and a 01 v6. For me it just felt good to change the oil at 3k. This 07, I'm a little more willing to experiment going above 3k. It's one of those things that was hammered into my head since I first picked up a wrench. Change the oil every 3k or burn it up. Now I know a lil better.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Yeah, I was reading about Fram filters, which I trusted for a long time, and that was it for me.

I'm 7K into my AMSOIL 0W30 oil test right now, and preparing to twist on a K&N to replace the Amsoil filter, which I'm not happy with for a couple reasons.

I used to be a "3K oil change" person too, but I'm getting too old for that, and if synthetics work, I might trust them to 15K or so, with filter changes every 5K or so.

As to the lifetime filters, I want to see more about them and see how well they do on the market before taking the plunge.
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:07 PM
CF Senior Member

alrighty. i got some videos for you all to enjoy. this is a link to a breakdown of what is in a fram filter. straight from the shelf. and on the right side of the player is a whole bunch of other videos on other oil filters. ive watched them all. good information for this thread. and btw. i got 106k on my lil 998 silverado and i change my oil at 2k miles. i use mobil one clean 5000 5w30. reason being is well... i get my oil for 12 bucks for 5 quarts. and the filter is like 6 bucks. now. heres my testing... i used fram just because i didnt know better. research showed fram was not my choice filter. and at 3k miles, oil came out fairly dirty. then switched to mobil one filters. when i switched i did a full system flush. next 3k miles. drain oil. that oil looked almost as new as when it was put in. little discolored but not that bad. so i pulled the filter off. let it all drain out teh filter and it was still very heavy. so it did its job. thats when i started the 2k change. since i work at an oil change place and its free to change my oil i bring it in do it myself. lol. i never ever let anyone else touch my baby... but. then i tried wix since they are said to be top notch. well... my oil looked dirty as all hell again. so im gonna switch back to mobil one. and even though i do my oil at the 2k mark, i change it at teh same time others change theirs at teh 3k mark. i dont drive so often. yea my boss thinks im dumb to change my oil so soon. but id rather be dumb than an idiot for not changing it enough. heres the link to the education you will love to see...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfj9KUv0pKY
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
I have become a fan of OEM parts, my good neighbor is a manager for a auto parts chain and tells me that yes the OEM ( AC/Delco) do cost a bit more but are much more reliable and he sees very few returns of OEM parts and most ofter then not they are covered by a better warranty as well.
its the proverbial you get what you pay for...
I have found this as well and try to stick with oem when possible.