Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

No Idea Where To Start

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2015, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Idea Where To Start

So iv started to work on a project thats been sitting for some years. My dad built the motor and truck probably about 10 years ago and doesn't remember a whole lot about what he had to do when he put it all together.. Im going to be swapping a 502 out of a 1996 K3500 into a 61 C10 pickup. I am lead to believe the motor is a Gen 5 454, punched out to a 502. It has a whipple supercharger kit on it as well and a built trans. Some of my questions are as follows and if you have any info please share!
  • Where do i find out exactly what motor i have? Im guessing the casting number on the block but just to make sure?
  • Since i am swapping this motor to a 61 C10 i want to remove as much wiring as i can and im not sure what all the computer needs to still run.
  • Is there a way to run an aftermarket ECU or Engine management system so i can start from scratch?
  • The blower has a computer to it as well and not sure what its telling the factory ECU and im not sure if the motor is tune-able since id like to turn it up some when put in the 61.

Ill have more questions as i progress but for now this is all i have, im mainly just concerned with all the wiring and keeping the motor happy in the 61 as id like to use everything i have and not have to buy a carb set up or something of that nature while at the same time the only electronics i want it to have are just to run the motor.

Name:  Attach0%201_zpsfqbya7lb.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  160.2 KB

Name:  Attach0_zpsv6ivvdce.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  141.3 KB
Old July 25th, 2015, 2:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the casting number on the rear of the block behind the cylinder heads will help determine the block you have.
Chevy Casting Number identification - Block casting numbers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_C/K#C3500_HD
The 96 K3500 came with two different engines the 5.7/350 and the 7.4L/454, since you have the 454 made in 96 you could have the L29 which was an option.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...ock_engine#454

You will need to remove the ECM, and all the wiring for the engine, the harness will be separate from the rest of the electrical wiring harness. Also ensure that if the truck used electric fans that they are included in addition to the harness for the fans.

There are different aftermarket systems you can get to manage the engine, MSD, Holley, and Eldelbrock would be a good starting place to start. In addition to you will need to have the system tuned to compensate for the addition of the blower.

Looks like you have a major build on your hands. Have fun