Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

No start - New battery

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start - New battery

The car's battery was dead, i had weak lights and slow crank and no start.

While charging, the rapid clicking while attempting to start, suddenly didn't happen anymore. I held the key in the start position for five seconds to attempt it to turn over.

So I bought a new battery, which is fully charged and there's no turnover and no rapid clicking. Only a single click is heard.

Has my starter died?
Old February 3rd, 2014, 9:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by brokenexpress

While charging, the rapid clicking while attempting to start, suddenly didn't happen anymore. I held the key in the start position for five seconds to attempt it to turn over.

So I bought a new battery, which is fully charged and there's no turnover and no rapid clicking. Only a single click is heard.

Has my starter died?
Most likely, Yes. Starter motors aren't made to turnover constantly. So its very easy to wear one down while trying to crank a motor thats hard to start or won't start.

If you are handy with tools then you can tackle it yourself and pick up a starter at your local parts store. If you are not DIY guy then get it towed into your favorite mechanic and he can verify whats wrong. Good luck!
Old February 3rd, 2014, 9:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check all the connections from the battery to the starter. A loose or bad connection will have the same symptoms.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has my starter died?
Quite possibly. Remove it and get it tested at the autoshop.

Only other thing could be it is hitting the plate and just stopping and not getting on the wheel gear.

It is a auto or manual? Can you try moving it in gear slightly?
Old February 4th, 2014, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Richardx2
Check all the connections from the battery to the starter. A loose or bad connection will have the same symptoms.
There is evidence for a loose connection @ the battery port. Wiggling the wires does cut the power ( realized by the hood lamp ).

The nuts are rusted.

I was sure not to overheat the starter, with only applying the key to the ON position for a few seconds.

I'll try to DIY this.
Has anyone done this job?
- Jack up one side of the car at the jack point
- Two bolts
- Plug and play to replace?

Thanks for your responses.
Old February 5th, 2014, 9:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is evidence for a loose connection @ the battery port. Wiggling the wires does cut the power ( realized by the hood lamp ).

The nuts are rusted.

I was sure not to overheat the starter, with only applying the key to the ON position for a few seconds.

I'll try to DIY this.
Has anyone done this job?
- Jack up one side of the car at the jack point
- Two bolts
- Plug and play to replace?

Thanks for your responses.
Use a jackstand!

Are you talking about starter removal or battery removal? Did you fix the loose battery wire? Which nuts are rusted? Battery?

starter -

Search youtube for starter removal/replacement for your vehicle or something close.

Eletrical connector, and there may or may not be 2 shims. Note how they go. The outer bolt holds it in place, the inner bolt it should slide over.
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Might want to check to see if voltage is getting to the starter, could be a bad cable....also see if voltage is getting to the starter solenoid when the key is turned.... check all fuses and make sure they are all good...
Old February 6th, 2014, 2:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always do the simple things first. Ensure that the wiring and connections are good, clean and free of corrosion. Make sure that all the relays are working. As far as starter replacement there are videos online that can help you.