Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

only moves in 4wd low

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2013, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default only moves in 4wd low

i have an 82 k10 4x4 and it will only move in 4wd low not 2wd high or 4wd high . im at a loss as what i should do ,im not wanting to have to spend $1000 buck on a new transfer case ,,i can go threw 1st-4th gears and reverse in 4wd low perfact no slipping at all. what could this be?
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

can you shift the transfer case into nuetral?
Old March 31st, 2013, 1:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't looked at the Case, and got the exact model/number off of it you really should slip under there and get that info. Should be a tag on the side of the Case. (look for a number like NP### or NVG###...like that)

That $1000 bucks sounds like a new unit. There are suppliers which have rebuilt units, which cost a few hundred less than that.

Your third option is to have it repaired. Several vendors supply a complete rebuild kits, which include motors, chains and everything else, and, you/a mechanic doesn't have to buy the whole enchilada, separate/individual repair parts are available.

I know this sounds wasteful but, my Case got contrary about shifting, I took a chance and changed the (special) Oil in it, and that fixed the problem. Hard to say if yours would.

If you've previously been shifting hi/lo while stopped, you might try the "low speed" shift while coasting in natural, or vice versa.

You don't have to buy from this dealer, it's just an example of what's available. You'll have to click and scroll to go to your specific unit.
Chevy Fuel Systems | Chevy Truck Transmissions | Pure Diesel Power

Good Luck

PS: your Case problem has nothing to do with the Transmission shifting, that's a separate function.

Last edited by SWHouston; March 31st, 2013 at 1:55 PM.