Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Power Running Board Problem

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2019, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Running Board Problem

Having an issue with my 2017 GMC Sierra Denali 1500, it has the Ultimate package so it has the power retracting running boards.
They are great -- when they work right but recently and of course intermittently they will deploy on their own -- never when driving (I think there is a safety feature preventing that)
I will be sitting in a parking lot or at the gas station and the passenger side board will go down... then back up.. and repeats this for several minutes.

I also notice some morning when I go out to the truck the passenger board will be down and extended to the rear wheel as if it extended and then extended again.

Each time, it will go back up when commanded by the truck to start driving.

Any help on where I should look or what needs to be done?

Thank you,
Old February 3rd, 2019, 1:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

out of warranty?
Can your set up actuate remotely with the fobs? if not, the main input for step deployment/retraction is the door ajar signal switch. You would have to view its status with a scan tool to see what its doing.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
out of warranty?
Can your set up actuate remotely with the fobs? if not, the main input for step deployment/retraction is the door ajar signal switch. You would have to view its status with a scan tool to see what its doing.
It's out of warranty and no it does not activate with a remote.
Old September 19th, 2020, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power running boards

2017 high country, left side board comes out and in at random, while the truck is off and locked up, no pattern to its actions
is there a diagnostic chart for them ?
Old March 21st, 2021, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Same problem, wondering if anyone has found a solution.

thanks in advanced
Old August 2nd, 2021, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Denali Automatic Running Board Recall

My 2017 Denali 1500 truck just started having issues with the driver side running boards. They started extending and retracting on their own with the keys in my pocket and the doors locked. They wouldn’t stop until I climbed in (with the boards still moving!) and manually disabled them. This happened several times in two days so l am keeping them disabled until repaired.
It appears that there are many GMC Denali customers with the same type of problem. This is definitely a safety hazard since danger to personal injury can happen at any time for no reason. I know from past experience that GM will try and pass the buck and not issue a recall, so I am prepared to take this to the Better Business Bureau, if I need to. I have done so in the past with my 1987 GMC 1500 and was successful in having GM repair my truck. This is how to do it; I will be taking my truck to my dealer tomorrow to see what they will do for me. If I am not satisfied with their response, I will the contact GMC customer service to get their response in writing. If I need to I will then contact the Better Business Bureau to report a failure to repair a safety hazard by GMC. A mitigation meeting with all parties will be scheduled months down the road so you have to be patient. I will post my outcome but it may take awhile, probably six months to one year. Keep on Trucking!!

Stand Up or Remain Seated
NorthBayMan
Old February 28th, 2023, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Elko51racer
Having an issue with my 2017 GMC Sierra Denali 1500, it has the Ultimate package so it has the power retracting running boards.
They are great -- when they work right but recently and of course intermittently they will deploy on their own -- never when driving (I think there is a safety feature preventing that)
I will be sitting in a parking lot or at the gas station and the passenger side board will go down... then back up.. and repeats this for several minutes.

I also notice some morning when I go out to the truck the passenger board will be down and extended to the rear wheel as if it extended and then extended again.

Each time, it will go back up when commanded by the truck to start driving.

Any help on where I should look or what needs to be done?

Thank you,

mine was doing the same. I ohm the foot switch, and it is a bad switch on the running board.