Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rust!

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2010, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust!

This is my first post. I bought a 1988 Chevy/GMC Cheyanne full bed 4X4 to do dump runs and do some contractor work. I bought it for a low price and decided to put up with it's excentricities. I have a problem now that might be serious (you tell me).

The undercarriage is pretty rusty - not the frame so much, but brackets, hangers and such are pretty bad. Last week I saw the right shock just sticking out straight - not attached at the top. I crawled under and found the shock mount had completely rusted out. The left side is intact, but doesn't look so good.

Do I have to weld new mounts or is there some way to fix this I don't know about?

Any and all help is appreciated - I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty handy. So please keep it simple.

Thanks in advance - Have a good weekend.

Reg
Old August 4th, 2010, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Well, the shocks help keep the tires glued to the road...tires in contact with the road have always been high on my priority list...so, yes, important to take care of.
Are you just gonna run it until the wheels fall off, and then get rid of it? (I have had work trucks like that..lol)..if so, then you might just want to weld the top of the shock to the mounting point....no point in throwing good money after bad...otherwise, you are going to have to fab up a new mount, etc, etc....not sure I would put that much effort into it, if everything underneath is a rust heap.
Old August 4th, 2010, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

any pics?? how much you pay for the truck?