Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2022, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Melissa Randazzo
I have a 2014 Impala about every 5th time I go to start it it doesn’t start and, I get the lovely service anti theft deterrent system. What’s the deal? Is there a permanent fix to this I was told it’s either my key or the ignition switch. I have 2 keys for this car and, I can’t see both keys being bad. I don’t have much extra income but, taking it to the shop on Thursday hoping they can find the problem and, fix it. This is getting old real fast Chevy needs to get it together and, put a recall out or something. Seems like this is a common frustrating problem with Chevy’s. I can get the car started after about 10 seconds but, my security light still stays on steady. Any suggestions??

did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem. Two keys. It’s like every few days it does this, then randomly works again. It’s driving me nuts!
Old January 6th, 2024, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by drlcs2b
I found this; it may help with your issues :

Make sure the battery if fully charged because this procedure may take up to 30 minutes and you cannot start the vehicle during this time. The instrument panel cluster (IPC). BCM and PCM must be in working order and the Passkey system repaired

1. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

2. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

3. Turn the key to OFF for 10 seconds.

4. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine. If it starts and run, the system has reset. If it doesn’t start or run and release the key to the ON position and complete the rest of the steps.

5. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

6. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

7. Turn the key to ON and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the ON position.

8. The SECURITY light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

9. Turn the key to OFF and wait 10 seconds.

10. Start the engine
So what about the truck alarm is that normal to be going off the whole time ???

Old January 6th, 2024, 3:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Aydenm
So what about the truck alarm is that normal to be going off the whole time ???
you are replying to an ancient post. That person hasn't visited in nearly a decade. Please start a new thread with the "New Thread" button in the correct section for YOUR vehicle. Make sure you include all your details and troubleshooting. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
LowBudgetZlatan (July 27th, 2024)
Old May 28th, 2024, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by derrickjaxn
I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Cruze and I started Saturday night so all dealers are closed tomorrow and have to be at work Monday morning before any of them open meaning I'll be coming out of pocket for a rental. Between the recalls and random but very inconvenient mishaps with this car despite the upkeep I maintain with it, it's become a huge liability financially and to my peace of mind. How can o resolve this and prevent this from happening in the future other than switching to Ford or Volkswagen?
me too !! I’ve been trying to figure out why my car is in anti theft deterrent system mode. I went to the market w my daughter and came back out to my car not starting & stuck in this mode. Tried everything everybody has recommended online. I have a Chevy caprice ppv 2014. Can someone help had to tow home and get a ride home. Super inconvenient makes me revaluate owning a Chevy. Smh.
Old May 28th, 2024, 1:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bdeelo
Tried everything everybody has recommended online.
list those things please
Old May 28th, 2024, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
list those things please
disconnecting battery, key in stationary mode for 10-15 min then off for 30sec. changed onstar fuse.
Old May 28th, 2024, 2:05 PM
Super Moderator

try your spare key
Old July 6th, 2024, 1:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default No Crank - Theft Deterrent System

Thought my battery was just dead but since last Thursday I have paid for a new ground cable, new fuse box, new relays, now a new pcm, its thrown all these codes and tonight it starts but wont crank and has Service Theft Deterrent System, dealership got us a new key and still it refuses to start.
Old July 6th, 2024, 1:52 AM
Super Moderator

@strandedcruze
always post your vehicle details please.
Old August 30th, 2024, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by atex33
This should work for almost all newer models such as the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Sierra, Silverado, etc. My 2007 Silverado truck would not start after buying a new battery and the message center was telling me "Service Theft Deterrent System". I tried just about everything, searching online, reading the manual, unhooking the battery, but did not get it figured out until the tow truck driver showed me. All you need to do to reset the system is unhook your battery, hold both the positive and negative terminals together, where they are touching and hold them together for 45-60 sec. Hook them back up and she cranked right up! It's crazy something so easy to do worked after a few days of wondering how much this was going to cost me! Can't beat FREE! Hope I can help someone because I couldn't find this solution on the internet and I know I'm not the only one this has happened too!
don’t listen to this idiot. Did this to my truck and it fried all the big 125/175 amp fuses. Here’s a tip to the op if you don’t have an idea of what the tow truck driver did don’t go telling ppl online to do it. Made an account just to tell others bc I already had issues with my truck now I gotta go get fuses and stop working because this terrible suggestion.