Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2017, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I programmed the new key over 30 minutes (3 -10 minute intervals) and it ran for a few minutes then security light illuminated and now it doesn't start....just cranks. Info center stated "1 Key Programmed." Also displaying the "Service Theft Deterrent System" warning.

Tried the battery reset mentioned...no change.

Anyone know?

2017LS with 5000 miles.

Update: Now when I try the 10 minutes hte security light stays on past the 10 minutes. Car still cranks, but does not start.

Last edited by CruzeTown; November 24th, 2017 at 8:03 PM.
Old November 28th, 2017, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by knjkav
Hey Deesguy , don't down a car for such problem. . i buy hyundai and a lot of them the steering makes a clunking noise and it actually moves up and down and it is because of a $1.50 rubber part in the electric steering that goes bad. so unless it is not major like the CVT transmission on nissans, you can't judge a manufacturer with these things problem. the problem is the computer they use in cars these days which help you diagnose a problem but electronics goes bad like your laptop and tv.
I would take a clunking steering column caused by a $1.50 part over a new car that won't start reliably any day! These Theft Deterrent Systems are causing more problems than they are worth. Why? To appease the insurance companies. TDS should be able to be bypassed by the owner if desired. How costly is this? Reprogram the BCMs-no parts needed. The only thing that will cause that is a class-action lawsuit. That is the right thing to do. Every GM car I have had has had problems with the TDS, except the Pontiac.

GM is even blocking Americans from working on their own cars now. GM is absolutely robbing Americans blind! Charging $300 for a replacement key! This is AFTER we bailed them out. I will definitely buy a Ford truck. Stealerships are charging $300 for a PCM when you can buy one on EBay for $155 shipped, but this will do you no good since it has to be programmed by the crooked bastards at GM and you can't do that without their machine that downloads the software from their secured website. Don't worry GM our frustration will result in customer changes in loyalty. Technicians are now parts changers. When that part doesn't fix the car...well you already paid for the part so you just need another part. Don't worry thousands of your dollars later they will eventually guess correctly at what is wrong with your car.

GM is failing-not sad to see either after the way they are treating their customers. Building cars in Mexico then shipping them to the US. OK Genuises at GM, think about this for a minute. 40-50,000 for a new truck. Hecho in Mexico. Ship to jobless American market. Who can buy? It is working today, but what about the LONG RUN? You can't think in terms of empty American pockets today. This IS catching up with you.

Last edited by CruzeTown; November 28th, 2017 at 8:03 AM.
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default Frustrating

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Tom,

We completely understand how frustrating this may seem, and we would be more than happy to look into this more for you. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We would be happy to assist the best way possible.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
This is great. Have you noticed in recent years how customer service says ,, we understand how frustrating this could be,, but do they realty ? Let's take a vote and see how many got real help from customer service. Other than take your vehicle in and we can charge you up the Yeng Yang for your problem. And not realizing people don't have money for cleaning these stupid fixes. I really feel much better now that you know how frustrating this is. THANKS A BUNCH
Old November 29th, 2017, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

just scrapped my 05 malibu over a theft deterrent system failure that the certified chevy dealer couldnt or wouldnt fix. theft deterrent was so faulty that the car would be driving down the road/highway/freeway at whatever speed and it would die. on the spot. locks popped up and it would die. not only that the dealer took me for almost $4000 in repairs done when it wasnt the correct fix. the correct fix was quoted at $1.792.06. heres the deal, CHEVY KNEW/KNOWS about these problems with this system yet refuses to do anything and then takes unsuspecting people for $. so done with chevy. the car couldve killed me and my family. they are lucky im taking my business elsewhere instead of filing a suit.
Old November 30th, 2017, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

They are in the process now of totally screwing me over. I can't wait to get my car away from this stealership!

Vote: All PR BS. In retrospect we should have let them fail. Sorry about the loss of American jobs but they are EARNING bankruptcy and we can live without them. The better companies will get stronger and then we will be free of this garbage corporation.
Old December 13th, 2017, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Easy Fix!!!!!

Hello, try this it worked for me, My 2015 GMC Sierra gave theft detterent message, I imagine same will all gm vehicles, then went dead. No response to either Fob, nothing when either Key was inserted, Dealership zero help, refused to help trouble shoot. They had to have it towed in and hooked up to computer, because that’s not inconvenient. I found this on an obscure forum from 2008 it’s simple, I thought it would never work, unhook both battery terminals hold them together touching each other for 60 seconds. Reattach them. To my amazement I did this, hit the Fob and the heard a click!! Then went and started it and it took right off.

If you find this and it works for you, find a forum and pass it on. Really made my day better
Old February 7th, 2018, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
I apologize for this! If you need any additional assistance into the dealership, please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
My 2007 Chevy suburban cracks but does start has the anti theft light on
Old April 8th, 2018, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

I am driving trailblazer 2013 2.5 it cant start it shows service theft terrent system
Old May 22nd, 2018, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help! Theft deterrent system vehicle wont start

Battery died. Charged it over night and got a new one. All the lights come on. Windows roll up and doors lock. Wont turn over. Theft light keeps blinking. How do i reset?
Old June 7th, 2018, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default Works perfectly

Originally Posted by drlcs2b
i found this; it may help with your issues :

Make sure the battery if fully charged because this procedure may take up to 30 minutes and you cannot start the vehicle during this time. The instrument panel cluster (ipc). Bcm and pcm must be in working order and the passkey system repaired

1. Turn the key to on and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the on position.

2. The security light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

3. Turn the key to off for 10 seconds.

4. Turn the key to on and attempt to start the engine. If it starts and run, the system has reset. If it doesn’t start or run and release the key to the on position and complete the rest of the steps.

5. The security light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

6. Turn the key to off and wait 10 seconds.

7. Turn the key to on and attempt to start the engine and release the key to the on position.

8. The security light will illuminate. Wait 10 minutes until it turns off.

9. Turn the key to off and wait 10 seconds.

10. Start the engine
[spoilerspoil[/spoiler]

Quick Reply: "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery