Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Stalls leaving idle

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2008, 1:37 PM
ctd
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalls leaving idle

I'm new to Chevrolet so I hope someone has an idea what is going on with my 2000 4.8 reg cab Silverado 1500. While running down the freeway all of a sudden it lost power and died but I was able to get to the side of the road. It will restart but the moment you start to give it gas, the engine sputters and dies. It will restart and repeat the scenario over again. I changed the fuel filter to no avail. There doesn't seem to be the fuel pump whine that I use to hear so is it likely that died? I would think if it died the engine wouldn't start but I'm not familiar with these trucks. The truck has approx. 150,000 fwy miles so it is a few. I'd appreciate any ideas of where to go with this, thanks!
Old May 30th, 2008, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Stalls leaving idle

sounds like the fuel pump to me, check your fuel pressure with a gauge.
Old May 30th, 2008, 5:24 PM
ctd
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what to expect psi wise but I'll check it. Looking at the parts suppliers, the pump is pricey. Can the pump itself be replaced w/o the whole module? Thanks again.
Old June 1st, 2008, 5:48 PM
ctd
CF Beginner

Update. The fuel pump and harness was changed after lifting the bed off. The connector was in good shape but was changed anyway. After changing the pump, the truck started, and ran as before so that was the problem. The pump was pricey but I guess at 150K miles, it should last longer than the truck will now!