Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Strut Came Out of Mount

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2020, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Came Out of Mount

Hello...

2013 Chevy Spark with 57,000 miles.

I just purchased this car and had a shop put 2 new front KYB struts and 2 new Monroe Strut Mounts on. They re-used the springs. I have drove the car about 200-300 miles since the work was done.

Today it started rattling. The driver's side looks fine, but the passenger side has came out through the hole under the hood. I can't wrap my head around how this is possible. There are no scratches or scrapes around the hole to indicate it somehow pushed through. The strut is not mangled or scratched up. Everything feels smooth. I did not hit a pothole.

It looks fine underneath, and appears to be bolted to the hub assembly just fine.

Is it possible it was not put on correctly, and just now managed to work its was through?
Maybe the mount is the wrong part and too small?

Any ideas.

Old June 3rd, 2020, 1:00 AM
CF Beginner

I have double checked and these are showing up as the correct mounts for the car from more than one parts store. Monroe 908995

After studying this picture for a while I think I have an answer. If anyone wants to comment feel free as I am not really sure, and my explanation is not that great, but it should be easy enough to explain to the shop.

I think the top two parts are on wrong the ones that are on the hood side of the car and look like two large washers.

The part on the very top(the larger part) with little rubber grooves should go under the mounting hole, on the bottom side of the hole, and fit into the grooves of the part underneath it.

The Black metal piece(the smaller part) should go on top of the mounting hole, and be the only part on the hood side of the strut then the metal nut should go on the very top.

Sadly both struts are installed the same way only the drivers side has not pushed through yet. The shop will have to take the struts back off the car to fix this.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 2:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Take it back to the shop that replaced your struts. If they refuse then you need either an attorney or a call to your bureau of automotive repair, if you have one.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 7:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Definitely go back to the shop that did the work. If the parts were wrong they should have noticed that. If they supplied the parts then they are 100% responsible and need to make it good.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (June 3rd, 2020)
Old June 3rd, 2020, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

this is when you find out how well the shop handles adversity. a good business will fix it with no fuss.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (June 3rd, 2020)
Old June 4th, 2020, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

It was not put on wrong. The shop charged me $40.00 which was fair. They put the original mount back on. I will probably have them put the original one back on the other side too to avoid it doing the same thing.

Old June 11th, 2020, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red2LT
It was not put on wrong. The shop charged me $40.00 which was fair. They put the original mount back on. I will probably have them put the original one back on the other side too to avoid it doing the same thing.

so the part was wrong? Not sure what that picture is showing?

Old June 12th, 2020, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

The Mount Came Apart. That black washer looking part came off, and it is welded to the top of that mount. That part is not supposed to come off under any circumstance. That washer looking part is holding the strut back.

These are Monroe mounts ordered brand new from RockAuto. The old AC Delco stock mounts are similar but MUCH stronger.

The shop put one of the old AC Delco mounts back on this strut. The other side still has a Monroe mount which is going to be changed at some point. The stock mounts were not bad I just ordered them in case they were needed so the car didn't have to sit for several days waiting for a mount. The shop went ahead and just put the new mounts on.

I did talk to Monroe on the phone about this, and they told me "I have never heard of this happening". They gave me an email to send all my receipts to. It has been over a week, and I have heard nothing from them.
I am hoping RockAuto will at least refund me back for the part, but I don't have the original box for the part and the shop does not either so I dunno if they will return it or not.