Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Suburban starter question

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2009, 2:58 PM
bgb
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban starter question

I'm new and glad to be here. I have a question trying to determine if my starter or battery needs to be replace. Maybe something else. 1997 suburban, when I triy to start it I have power but can't turn over the starter. This started a few weeks ago and after several tries it would turn over but not anymore. When I but the charger to 200 amps it does turn over. Last night I tried to start it after letting it sit for a hour. No problem. This morning it wouldn't turn over. Not sure how to find the problem. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks Bruce
Old December 11th, 2009, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Check the voltage at the battery after a good charge. Then check the voltage the next day--there should not be an appreciable drop.

Also, check the voltage with the key off, then with the key on, then with the key turned to "START."

If it is the starter, you can often get a few extra starts out of it by tapping the starter with a hammer.

Most auto parts stores will check your battery and starter at no charge, although you will need to remove them from the vehicle.

If you have trouble deciphering the results of the voltage checks above, post the values here and I'm sure someone can help interpret the results.
Old December 11th, 2009, 5:29 PM
bgb
CF Beginner

Thanks, I'm going to swap batteries with another burb and see what happens.
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

I would just take it to autozone and get them to check it out, thats probably your easiest bet.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
bgb
CF Beginner

I bought a new battery because the charging system was working well. This didn't solve the problem. This morning when trying to start it I wiggled the ignition key and after a few turns it started. I'm confused by this. If it is the switch I would it start after its been running even after a couple of hours. Do you think I need a new ignition switch? Thanks, Bruce
Old December 16th, 2009, 5:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi bgb,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

How are the big three?

Sounds like time to change the cables.