Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Transmission Pan Gasket Sealer?

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Pan Gasket Sealer?

I'm attempting to do a Tranny Fluid/Filter service on my 2005 Yukon. I bought the Filter kit from the Chevy dealer and was wondering if the Pan Gasket goes on dry,or do I prep it with some sealer or something. I have the Haynes manual but it doesn't really talk about the gasket other than to say just "install gasket"
Any info Greatly appreciated.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Pan Gasket Sealer?

i did a trans flush/gasket at my work and when i studied teh filter since it was teh first trans flush i did on it, i took apart the filter and looked at everything. i found that the trans is in good shape. no chips or anything bad and i saw bits of gasket maker in the filter. i know the owner before me did a flush but you are not supposed to use any sealer. all that seals the trans is that lovely gasket and the many screws torqued properly hold it together. when you take out the old filter. its always a good idea to check out the filter and study that. just pop the metal and plastic apart and unfold the paper and check it out.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Pan Gasket Sealer?

cams 98 silverado,thanks for the info.....

That was kinda a PIA... The pan was straight foward,'cept I misjudged the placement of the catch pan. But,thats typical with me. The worst part was removing the shift linkage bracket. It absolutly needs to be taken completly off the tranny in order to drop the pan. It curves up underneath the pan,and doesnt allow enough room to lower the pan.Pan needs to come straight down 'cause thevalve body is thick and hangs low in thepan.Held on by two #40 torx's. Arms are brusied and scratched but its done and I'm relativly certain its done right.