Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

tunning help

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2007, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tunning help

well guys im kinda having some problems.. i have a 305 chevy truck 86.. i was having probkems with no power , so i thought to change the carb, so i bought a eldebrock 1403 carb and a performer intake .. the truck has power now but we seem to have a problem the truck runs off after you stop the truck. like you turn it off and she still runs for like 10 seconds and she idles at like 3000 rpm when at idle most of the time. also it seems everytime you punch the gas the truck dies right after that ....

what should the timing be at

and how do i fix this problem
Old September 17th, 2007, 9:59 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: tunning help

for the high idle u need to adjusted ur idle screw on the side of ur carb. the dieseling when the key is off sounds like maybe ur timing is off. i wanna says it's supposed to be around 6btdc but not a 100% on that.
Old September 18th, 2007, 6:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: tunning help

I agree with John86 about the timing probably being your problem with the dieseling (run on).
Since you had to pull the distributor to change the intake have you put a timing light on it yet to see where its timed at now?
A lack of power until you have changed the carb out doesn't necessarily mean it was the carb in the first place. Having the distributor turned too far advanced would make the motor race and give you added power but would also shoot all milage to heck and create a run on "diesel" condition.
What I am wondering is how bad is your timing chain and has it possibly jumped a tooth? When you have the timing light on it does the mark jump all around? If so I would be changingthe timing setwhile its in the shop not out on the road broke down