Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Were is the theft deterrent relay located

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were is the theft deterrent relay located

Were is the theft deterrent relay located for a 1998 lumina? I have an occasional no start situation. I turn the key, dash lights all come on but the starter does not spin ( no solenoid click either) and the lights do not dim. Battery is fine. I tried pulling up on the shifter thinking maybe the neutral safety switch wasn't engaging. My key has a resistor embedded in it. I have read that sometimes the contacts in the ignition switch need to be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. I also read that slamming the hood can jar the relay enough to get it to work again. That worked for me the other day. I would like to replace the relay but I can't find it. It's kind of embarrasing to have to get out of the car at the gas station and slam the hood in order to start the car. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

MNstrel <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>