Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Wiper Blade does not turn off

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2011, 1:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Blade does not turn off

Hi. I'm trying to help out my mother in law and she has a Chevrolet Cavalier. I believe it's a 2005. Wiper blades work great except she can't turn them off. I tried it myself. When you move it to the off position they keep going. Sometimes they do turn off but after a long time. The only other way to turn them off is to shut the vehicle off. All of the different speed settings for the wiper blades work fine. Just can't turn them off.

What could be causing this to happen and what should I replace?

Thanks.
Old March 8th, 2011, 1:24 AM
CF Beginner

How can I tell if I need a new Wiper motor or a new switch?
Old March 8th, 2011, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

you would have to test both the motor and the switch, that's the only way to know. I've also seen a body control module do this to wipers, so make sure it's not that.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

How do I test both the motor and switch? I'm new to this.
Old March 8th, 2011, 5:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no BCM involvement in the wiper/washer on the 2005 Cavalier. The switch is connected to the wiper motor assembly through 3 signal wires for high speed, intermediate speeds (variable voltage levels), and washer-triggered, respectively. The actual ignition voltage to power the motor comes over a separate wire from the Wiper fuse in the instrument panel fuse block. This means the wiper motor assembly contains logic/timer circuits.

If the wipers initially don't run with the switch off and the key in ACC/ON, the switch is probably good. If they run as soon as the key in turned, it's 50-50. Anyway, in order to be absolutely sure, you have to get to the motor assembly under the air inlet grille and then measure the actual signal voltages at the electrical connector.
Old March 11th, 2011, 1:10 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the replies. I ordered and installed a new Wiper switch but the problem continues. They won't turn off. I'm guessing now the only other option would be to replace the Wiper Motor correct?
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that leaves the wiper motor assembly, barring some kind of a wiring problem. After you take the electrical connector off the motor assembly, verify that there's ignition voltage on one wire only with key on, engine off, and wiper switch off.
Old August 28th, 2017, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default How to fix Chevy/GMC S10/Blazer/Sonoma wiper board failure

Hey All,

I just did a how-to video showing how to fix this particular problem in s10s, it is a fairly common issue. The repair video may be similarly applicable to Cavaliers and can be found here: