Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

XM Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio Problem

2008 Silverado LTZ 1500, Z71, 2wd, 5.3l. I recently replaced the battery on the truck and my XM Radio quit working. I am an XM radio subscriber. XM has sent multiple reactivation signals to my radio, but it does not work. All other features of the radio are working. I have the factory Bose 6 CD radio with XM installed in the truck (no NAV). What could be wrong? I checked the antenna on the roof of the cab and does not appear to be loose or broken, but this only occurred when I replaced the truck battery.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Problem-222010334104911875.jpg  

Last edited by jybarra; March 6th, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: New Picture
Old March 8th, 2011, 3:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you tried having the vehicle checked at your dealership? They would be able to pinpoint the issue for you and fix it for you if you would like. Or you could simply use the diagnosis as a starting point for fixing the vehicle yourself. I hope that helps you. If you do decide to go to the dealer could you keep me up to date on the proceedings? Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default XM band not showing on radio

I had the same problem. Had a dead battery. After recharging the battery no XM was showing on my radio. When I would push the band button only FM and AM would show.

Called dealer told me to pull both positive and negative battery cables off of battery. Then touch them together and hook back up.

That solved the problem. My XM band is now showing again. Hoooray!!!
Old April 25th, 2014, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

I'll be damned, it worked! I went to 3 GM dealers and all said they didn't know what I was talking about. This is after XM told me I needed to go to a dealer and they would have to reset my XM band. One dealer wanted to charge me $90 to hook up to their computer and try to figure out how to reset my XM band.

After reading this suggestion, I tried it and it worked!!! Gotta love the internet.
Old April 25th, 2014, 2:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi mac76,

I am happy to hear the forum community has assisted with your concern! If you ever have any questions in the future, feel free to ask.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by mac76
I'll be damned, it worked! I went to 3 GM dealers and all said they didn't know what I was talking about. This is after XM told me I needed to go to a dealer and they would have to reset my XM band. One dealer wanted to charge me $90 to hook up to their computer and try to figure out how to reset my XM band.

After reading this suggestion, I tried it and it worked!!! Gotta love the internet.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jim2074
I had the same problem. Had a dead battery. After recharging the battery no XM was showing on my radio. When I would push the band button only FM and AM would show.

Called dealer told me to pull both positive and negative battery cables off of battery. Then touch them together and hook back up.

That solved the problem. My XM band is now showing again. Hoooray!!!
I have a Silverado LTZ Z71 and my battery went dead. Recharged it and I had the exact same issue. No XM whatsoever.

I tried this solution and IT WORKED! Thank you so much for posting this solution. It saved me a trip to the dealer.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

So glad it worked out for you. Hard to believe that touching the two cables together would work. Saves time and hard earned money. Happy New Year
Old January 11th, 2015, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

I also want to add one other item that touching the two cables together corrected. I was also having a issue with my phone pairing through bluetooth. Before my battery went dead, I was able to use my phone through the hands free sound system. After the battery went dead and I recharged it, my phone would no longer connect.

I got into my truck the other day and I noticed "bluetooth" popped up on my display. It now magically works.

The dealer was telling me that I had to go through my OnStar system and contact them for a software update. I'm glad I didn't go that route.

Once again, thanks for the tip! It saved me a lot of time and potential service dollars.
Old January 17th, 2015, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

I having the same issue with XM Radio. I'm gonna try this and see if it works for me.
Old July 5th, 2016, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default XM radio quits working.

Thanks for posting the solution to the XM radio problem,just tried it and it works. That's a life saver and so are you guys,will be back with my next problem on here. Keep up the good work!!!

Quick Reply: XM Radio Problem