Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Yet another chevy starting problem

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2011, 3:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another chevy starting problem

Thank you for being here. I have a 95 Caprice 5.7 with pol. pkg ran strong and great then sputtered and died. Fuel pump was the culprit (burned in tank) and also changed the filter (frame mount). After repairs, car started and ran for about 30 seconds and died. Car then restarted but would only run (but badly) as long as I held the key in the start pos. Now it's hard to get it to do even that but when it does start the hold key thing is still in effect. With the KO the pump runs and primes like it should. After it dies the pump still runs for a few seconds then stops. I can tell that the car is starting only because of the prime. After dieing, a check of the bleeder valve on the engine reveals that the system is under pressure and full of fuel. I do not have a pressure guage to tell just how much pressure but it is substantial in that it will sqirt about 6ft if I would let it. To me it sounds like an ignition problem. How close am I? This seems to be a common problem with many different solutions. If anyone needs more info please ask. Can anyone help?
Old July 12th, 2011, 4:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like you need to replace the ignition switch. I mean the electrical part, not the key and lock cylinder.