HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

HHR Ignition - Remove Key

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2007, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HHR Ignition - Remove Key

This problem started when my HHR turned 7K miles. About half of the time, the key won't slide out of the ignition switch on the first try. It is necessary to restart,, engage the tramsmission, and then shut down again and then, sometimes the key will come out. Other times it works fine.

The battery is new. I can release the key by removing the small access panel below the steering column and moving the linkage by hand as described in the owner's manual.

Anyone had a similar problem?
Old February 6th, 2008, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HHR Ignition - Remove Key

hey i had da same problem but my hhr was at 22500 miles and one and half years old battery i took it in to dealership
and they relplaced the gear box shifter. it was covered under warranty. the reason that they replaced is because a chip that communicates
with the ignition lock was not communicating. that releases the ignition after u shift to park if does not communicate then the ignition will not release
and vice versa for the shifter mine would not release unless i pushed the emergency button under the column.
dropped it early morning and picked it up at about 4:00pm.