Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000 impala dash/tail lights

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2006, 12:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 impala dash/tail lights

I have no dash or tail lights. When starting the PRNDL and radio/clock lights up and then goes dim. No tail lights or dash lights. Every once in a while the lights will work correctly. On one other occasion the dash lights flickered and went out again. I pounded on the dash and they came on and flickered at every bump in the road and then just stayed on. Next morning worked fine again. On a different forum another person claimed to have changed both the headlight switch and the BCM and still had no luck. Any suggestions short of a BIC!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 3:26 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 2000 impala dash/tail lights

possible shortage in wiring. hope this example helps but my 92 caprice had no tailights and dim interior lighting. every time I replaced a fuse it blew out in 30 seconds. next morning I followed the wires in the chasis and found both wires melted and shrivled up. have a machanic check the wiring or do it yourself with a wiring diagram. hope that helps...good luck.
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the exact same problem. Any idea where I could pick up a wiring diagram? ellswore did you get the problem fixed and if so could you share the cause?
Old November 5th, 2006, 7:38 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: ellswore

I have no dash or tail lights. When starting the PRNDL and radio/clock lights up and then goes dim. No tail lights or dash lights. Every once in a while the lights will work correctly. On one other occasion the dash lights flickered and went out again. I pounded on the dash and they came on and flickered at every bump in the road and then just stayed on. Next morning worked fine again. On a different forum another person claimed to have changed both the headlight switch and the BCM and still had no luck. Any suggestions short of a BIC!
If fuses are blowing then yes the lighting circuit is shorting.

What your describing is an intermittent connection fault. It could very well be a poor ground connection in the lighting circuit.

Did this show "all of a sudden" or after something was added or repairs to the vehicle ??
Old November 5th, 2006, 7:39 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: ellswore

If fuses are blowing then yes the lighting circuit is shorting.

What your describing is an intermittent connection fault. It could very well be a poor ground connection in the lighting circuit.

Did this show "all of a sudden" or after something was added or repairs to the vehicle ??

Btw... when you "pounded" on the dash and the lights came back on , did this include the tail lights ?
Old November 27th, 2006, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

same thing happened to me.

i was installing my new stereo, and everything was perfect.

but i had some trouble stuffing all the wires back there, so i kept moving things around back there.

all of a sudden i felt a short, and bam lights out.

i took everything out, and tried to find out where that short was coming from....

turns out, nothing i wired was unwired, so i have no clue where the effen short came from.

i checked fuses, everything is fine. any ideas???
Old November 27th, 2006, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

perhaps a wiring diagram? anyone?

TIA!